But, Love?

Bree's POV

I wake up to the golden sun warming my face and the sound of palm leaves rustling against each other while the sea breeze messes with my hair. Another day in paradise! Ugh.

Getting up, I brush the dust from my legs. How did I end up sleeping on the ground? The last place I remembered being was on Ralph. My face reddened as last night came back to me. I had opened up so much to Ralph. I had also babbled on about a ghost and then yelled at him for not believing me. Ouch.

"Why so unhappy today?" Ralph appeared from somewhere through the clearing.

"Um, I don't know. Maybe it's just because I'm stuck on this island another day!" I snapped at him. Ooh, I mentally winced. Harsh.

Ralph put his hands up in defense, "Woah, I'm sorry I awoke a demon. Let me know when Bree's awake, ok?"

I sighed. Maybe being angry at the world wasn't the best approach. Ralph put down the arrowhead he had been carving and walked towards me.

"Are you sure you're okay? You don't look like yourself..." Ralph looked at me with concern.

"I'm sorry I just don't feel well that's all," I reply. Ralph seemed like he didn't believe me, but he let it go.

"So what are we going to do about the fact that Jack is totally against us?" I change the subject, picking up a pebble from the ground.

"Jack is against us? More like Jack and his army is against us." Ralph says. "He has those boys wrapped around his fingers like a double-knotted bow."

"Great, an army of children and a choir boy are coming to attack us," I say, laughing.

"It's not like we can't kick their asses anyways," Ralph says, holding up his finished arrowhead.

I throw the pebble in my hand at Ralph, barely missing his head. "You mean I can kick their asses," I retort.

Ralph laughs, running his hands through his hair. "If we're so sure we can kick their asses, why are we hiding from them?"

I stop. Were we hiding from them?

Ralph continues. "I mean it's not going to solve any problems. We aren't going to get rescued by hiding out here.

I face Ralph. "Yeah, but we aren't going to get killed by hiding. If we go out there...

Ralph looks confused. "I thought you said that we could kick their asses. Now you don't seem so sure."

"Yeah, but we are definitely outnumbered. We could get distracted and be at risk for getting hurt... or worse. Ralph, you know what Jack's capable of. He is definitely not afraid to-" I falter. I don't want to die, especially from Jack's hands.

Ralph walks over to me, and wraps his arms around me, consoling my emotions. "Nothing will happen to you as long as I'm here."

"Ralph I can take care of myself," I say, not looking at him.

"Yeah, but I need you to take care of me like I'll take care of you. We complete each other that way. And whatever Jack tries to do to pull us apart, we can stop that."

I look into his dark eyes, and I know his words are genuine.

"But you just need to know that until we get rescued, or we die here on this island... it's going to be complete hell." Ralph says in a serious tone.

"If this is hell, then that's right because you're really hot." I say, dreamily.

Ralph laughs. "What the hell that didn't make any sense."

"It sounded so much better in my head, I promise." I smile. Ralph stops laughing and gazes into my eyes.

"Oh Bree, I love you."

I freeze. What?