Huts

CHAPTER THREE

"Piggy!" I shouted while running towards him.

I had no idea who to talk to about Jack and Ralph, besides Piggy. I was starting to think he was the only sane one around here.

He turned to me, and wiped the sweat off of his face. He was quite a sight, a fat boy with a sweat-soaked shirt and foggy glasses, panting like a dog.

"How do you like the huts?" He asked. I stared at the four sad-looking huts, that looked as if they could fall over with a small gust of wind.

"Erm-they're lovely," I assured him. He beamed. "Could I talk to you?" I asked. He nodded. I glanced sideways at Simon.

"Alone, right." Simon said half-heartedly before slinking away.

I lead Piggy over to a fallen log and we sit.

"I'm so confused," I started.

"It's about Jack an Ralph, right? I supposed it was about them. I seen the way they look at you."

"They look at me?" I ask, half surprised.

"Look, Bree, if we are ever to get off this island, we can't be playing love games. I'm sorry but that's the way it goes." Piggy retorted before stumbling off to sit on the platform and watch the littleuns swim in the bathing pool.

Piggy was right. How could I be do selfish? It seemed too silly now to be thinking about crushes while we had a very serious matter in our hands.

"Bree!" I quickly turned to the sound of the voice, and saw Ralph rushing towards me. He reached me and fell in the sand in front of me. I bent down.

"Hey, Ralph, I'm sorry about-" I start.

"No." He shakes his head. "This isn't about that."

He looks so serious my eyes widen in fear just thinking about the possibilities.

"It's Percival."

I remember a little boy with a birthmark on his face. He was darling.

"What about him?"

Ralph's head drooped.

"The fire. He was burnt by the fire. And he's-he's dead."