Death Breath and a New Rule

CHAPTER SEVEN

BREE'S POV

They day went as usual, Ralph and Jack fighting over me and me conquering I guess, and now I'm walking with Ralph to a party.

To eat a pig.

That I KILLED.

To be honest, I've never been to a party before, and this one seemed pretty kick-ass.

The only one I could tell was missing was Simon, and I figured he was probably in his little hut. I joined Piggy on the log next to the fire. He was pigging out on some pig.

Haha. Piggy pigging out on some pig.

"Well, hello to you too?" Piggy said.

Oops, I said that out loud, didn't I?

"Yep," he said, chewing.

Sigh.

"Where's Simon?" I inquired.

"I don't know," Piggy said. "But he sure is missing a lot."

Jack stood on the rocks and through his hands up in the air for silence. There was a long pause of quiet before he screamed, "Shermy's the pig!"

A dark-skinned boy was chased around the fire, boys fake-stabbing him and whooping. I stared at them, and then looked back at Piggy and Ralph, who were sitting there nonchalantly with a skeptical look on my face.

"Maurice is the pig!" The boys began to change course and follow Maurice around the fire, while smearing fruit juice on their faces like war paint.

I got up and left them, as they were beginning to give me a headache. I walked to the edge of castle rock, and looked up. I saw a dark figure running down and saw it was Simon.

"Simon!" I yelled.

Jack turned to me then to the figure running down the hill.

"It's a beast!" He yelled. "Kill it!"

I thought he had been playing a game, but then Piggy, Ralph, and I watched the group of boys brutally murder Simon.

Smart Simon. Gentle Simon. Caring Simon.

"No. No." I whispered, tears streaming down my face.

They're not boys anymore. They're not men, either.

They've turned into savages-and it's all my fault.