Love is Rising

CHAPTER FIVE

I saw Ralph running to us, cursing. My knees went weak and I gulped.

How could I be so stupid?

Ralph blew the conch and all the boys came running, even the hunters- blood streaked on their faces.

"You!" Ralph narrowed his eyes at Jack. "You let the signal fire out!"

"I didn't do anything!" Jack defended himself. "Wasn't that Bree's job?" Ralph turned to me.

"Did you go on the hunt?" he asked; more like growled.

"Yes, but-"

"I told you not to!" Ralph shouted.

"It's not that big of a deal! I was fine! I didn't get hurt! I caught a pig!" I screamed back, furious.

"Well that wouldn't have mattered. Because there was a plane. A PLANE. We could've been rescued. You and Jack. You really messed up."

There was a plane?

Man. I was being so selfish! I wanted to prove to Ralph and Jack that I was capable of helping us survive, but I ruined everything. I choked back tears. And I ran.

"Wait, Bree-" I heard Ralph's voice follow me to the platform.

"I didn't mean to-"

"No, you're right," I said. "I really messed up. I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me. I just wanted-"

Ralph put his arm around my shoulder. "Bree, stop it. I was just angry, that's all." His words soothed me. "Stop beating yourself up about it. It can't help now."

I looked up at his concerned face. I admired his efforts to comfort me. I looked back at the group of boys and smirked. Ralph looked at me and grinned.

"Want to give then something to watch?" He asked.

"You bet." I said, while leaning in, locking his lips against mine.

********

WHO DO YOU SHIP?