The End

BREE'S POV

I think I became fully conscious on the helicopter ride home. Here, I was finally conscious of everything that had happened on that wretched, hateful island. And suddenly, I hate it. I hate it all. I hate the island and the people on it. I hate my dad for sending my on that plane and the pilot for crashing it. But most of all, I hate myself; for everything I didn't do.

I sit quietly in the corner of the cabin of the chopper. Someone had wrapped me in a blanket and washed the dirt from my hands. Looking around the cabin, I see the boy who won't stop looking at me, standing looking out the window. I also see the boy who won't look at me at all, sitting on the opposite side of the helicopter.

*thump*

The helicopter jostles and the three of us freeze in terror. Nothing happens and I realize that it was just turbulence. But it was when I look down and notice how white my knuckles were from clinging on to the railing that I realize that nothing would ever be the same for us.

I sit and wait for the tears to come streaming down my face, but none surface from inside my beaten and bruised heart. I just can't cry. Then, I hear it. Someone else, crying. Someone who I thought was stronger than us all, someone who had no heart. Yes, Jack Merridew was crying. And at that moment, everything became real.

Now I can't stop the tears from streaming down my face. My face is hot and my shoulders shake and I lose all control. Jack looks up at me for a moment, and through his tears I can see a tiny bit of human inside of him. He stands up, wiping the tears from his face.

A moment passes and suddenly he's by the open edge of the helicopter, five inches from dropping down to the depths below. He turns around and looks outside, then back at us.

I stand. "Jack, no!" I run towards him but he throws his arms out in front of him.

"Don't come any closer," he says through tears.

"Jack, you can't."

"If you come any closer, I swear to God, I'll jump!" He threatens.

My eyes gloss over with tears. I look back at Ralph, who is sitting silently in the corner.

"Ralph, you have to help me!"

Ralph looks up at me, as if he doesn't care. "Why?"

"Because we can't let him do this!" I say.

"Why not? If it's what he wants then it's his choice, Bree. Stop being so selfish."

"Selfish? He's not thinking clearly? I'm just trying to help him!" I yell, livid.

Ralph laughs. "That's right, you're always trying to help. That's funny, last time I checked you only think about yourself. You don't give a shit about everyone else's feelings!"

"What happened to you, Ralph? The Ralph I knew and loved would've helped anyone in a heartbeat." I argue.

Ralph's face turns stone cold. "Maybe it's because you changed, Bree. Not me."

I am silent for a moment. When I turn back around, Jack is gone. And suddenly, I'm alone.

*******
I sit there, stunned. Jack was gone, I had failed to save him. If I couldn't save him, or Percival, or Piggy, or Simon, what was I good for? And now Ralph was gone.

The pilot tells us that we will be landing soon, and I realize I may never see Ralph again, so I take my chance.

"You said you'd never stop loving me. Why did you stop?" I say.

Ralph is quiet for a moment. He looks down, then at me, then at the door where Jack leapt off of.

"I never said I stopped loving you," Ralph says. "But I'm not sure I like you anymore."

I nod. "May I ask why?"

Ralph looks at me for a while. Then, he answers. "You weren't in it one hundred percent. You never were, and I'm not sure you were ever going to be."

"I understand," I say. But I don't.

We land. I don't look at Ralph again as we step off the runway to the cold, hard ground. I don't look at Ralph as he tries to convince the pilot that there wasn't another kid on the helicopter when we boarded. I don't even look at Ralph as we are loaded into separate cars and as we drive away. I don't see him again.

*****
15 years later...
BREE'S POV

"Honey, this is my favorite restaurant," I say to my husband. He looks at me and smiles with his sea-green eyes.

"I know."

The hostess seats us and gives us our menus.

"Thanks," I say. Out of the corner of my eye though, I see a familiar face. It's him. His features are unmistakable and I know that's it's him. Ralph.

He's with another woman, his wife it looks like. He tells a joke, and she laughs, putting his hand on his arm. They look happy. I want to go over there, to say hello. To ask him where he has been, what he's been doing. To ask him if he still has nightmares about those cold nights, living in fear of death. I want to ask him, but I don't.

Suddenly, he looks at me. I know he's trying to recall what he knows me from; maybe college, or a summer camp. But he can't seem to recall. We make eye contact and for a moment, I feel something. He looks away quickly.

My husband looks at me, concerned. "What's wrong, Bree?"

I look down. "It's nothing. Can we order?"
*****
DONE
THIS BOOK IS COMPLETED wow that's so sad! I had so much fun writing this book and I'm so sad it's over. But to keep the fun going, PLEASE check out my other books! If you could comment below what you want me to write about next, I will get started on another book! Thank you to everyone who stuck with this book and I really hope that you will read my other books about LOTF! Thank you all and it's been an incredible journey! Love you guys and keep reading!