A Chat With The Master

CHAPTER NINE

"The master will see you now."

I can't believe that Jack calls himself the master. Who does he think he is.

"I don't wish to speak with him," I reply.

The sentry disappears and I sigh with relief. A few minutes later, he returns, shaking.

"That is not a request, it is an order."

I wearily stand up and stumble towards him as he grabs my arm.

"Watch it!" I snap at him.

He shrugs and leads me to a dark opening on castle rock.

Inside, the walls are painted with fruit juice and clay, and it reads the words, "Jack's Lair". A fire is crackling in the center of the cave, and Jack is sitting on some sort of skin by it. He motions to me to come over.

"Sit?" He asks. I look at the wretched pelt, and shake my head.

"I'd rather not."

He shrugs and gets up himself, pacing the room slowly. I was getting restless.

"What do you want from me?" I blurted out. "If you're here to get something from me, it's not going to work anymore. "

Jack looked away from me.

"You can't just kill a boy, and then ask for forgiveness from his friend. It just doesn't work that way. I don't know how to get it into your self-absorbed mind that other people have lives too. Other people are just as important!"

Jack turned to me, red faced and crying.

"I'm just a boy you know. I don't know how to get it into your know-it-all mind that I have feelings too. And I miss my parents too, and I-I sincerely thought it was the beast!" He paused. "I didn't know what to do. I'm so, so sorry."

I felt a pang of guilt in my chest.

"You didn't know?" I asked.

"It's not like I would kill someone on purpose!" Jack screamed.

I shrunk back.

"Oh my god. I'm sorry Bree. I'm a monster. Go back to Ralph," Jack was hunched over on the ground. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Go away!" he yelled.

"Jack, I-I believe you." I explain.

He turned. "You do?"

I nodded. "I'm sorry I yelled. I just didn't know. I don't really think things through, you know."

He sniffed a little. "I've noticed."

I frowned. "It's not like you've acted like a perfect angel either! And still, you killed somebody. Even if by accident, it's still a pretty big deal."

He sighed. "You're right and I'm sorry."

"I know, I know." I said.

"Well can I make it up to you?" He asked and I shrug.

And he kisses me. It feels so good.

So wrong.

So right.

I feel like I'm betraying Ralph, but suddenly I can't think about him anymore.

I've fallen for the savage.