Chapter 8 - Howlers - Devil

__________________________________________________________

⚠️ Warning. This chapter contains sensitive content that may trigger others. There will be no warning before it happens. ⚠️

__________________________________________________________

I listen to her steady breathing, her eyes flitting behind her lids as she sleeps heavily.

Hopefully having sweet dreams of things that bring her happiness, and... if I'm lucky... that includes me.

For the first time in many days, I felt fully relaxed. She may not be entirely healed and out of the woods but she's cognizant and responding well.

My fingers ghost across her exposed skin, gently caressing over her unmarred cheeks, nose, and chin.

My Angel hums and scrunches her nose as I graze my fingertips around her ear. Sensing it may be a sensitive area for her, I do it again and her head slightly twitches.

A smile perks at the corner of my lips, pleased at finding one of her ticklish spots.

My phone decides at that fucking moment to disrupt my much-needed serotonin. Snarling, I snatch the damn thing off the bed table and answer it with a whispered curse.

"Boss, I'm sorry for interrupting your time with Baby but there's a disturbance at Howlers. Four badly injured were reported but could be more. Security is attempting to handle it but they are vastly outnumbered. Not sure what caused it but Viper is on sight with a large group of Enforcers but he stated there is a need for damage control."

"Shit." I inwardly seethe at having to leave my Angel. "Initiate lockdown protocol and no one leaves until I give out the order."

"Yes, sir."

Hanging up. I carefully as possible untangle myself from the hospital bed and fix the blankets around my Angel. I take off my hoodie and lay it next to her, a part of me hoping it will comfort her in my absence.