Chapter NINE

Lucky O'Cléirigh

Feeling like a total loser I stand awkwardly in Konstantin's empty kitchen, waiting for him to return with the special bottle of vodka he'd promised to share with me.

I have already forgotten all about Brody, too distracted by the fact that I am in The Russian's home.. On the kitchen wall hangs a set of scary looking knives with red handles and by the door sits my shoes that Konstantin had politely asked me to take off before stepping inside.. Beside his polished Oxfords my sneakers look so small, but there is something nice about seeing the two mismatched sets together..

The Uptown apartment he has leased from my brother in law is ridiculously oversized.. There is nothing but cold marble, concrete and glass everywhere.. A few books and decorative pieces adorn the surfaces of shelves but for the most part the place feels minimalist and empty, all sharp edges and clean surfaces.. Like a high end gallery or an expensive crypt.. Standing here I can understand why my sister refers to this apartment as 'The Mausoleum' and has refused to live in it..

It is a cold, vacant space with enormously high ceilings and windows for walls..

There is an odd scent in the kitchen, earthy, woody and faintly sweet, kind of like liquorice but more bitter.. Not unpleasant, but distinctly foreign, unlike anything I've ever come across before..

Overthinking my every move I position myself by the large stone island bench and fuss with my messy blonde waves, making sure my hair is untangled before I unbutton the top button of my blouse..

No.. That's stupid..
Why am I so uncomfortable in my own clothes, uncomfortable in my own body?

Reconsidering everything, I end up redoing the button only a second later and am caught fidgeting with my diamond stud earrings when The Russian returns with an intricately carved crystal bottle..

Konstantin pauses in the doorway to lift the beautiful bottle as if it were a trophy.. "Thiz iz my favourite way to forget turrible memoriez, Malishka.. Beluga!"

"Ooh, It looks so expensive.." I smile, my heartbeat skittering nervously in my chest.. I never drink fancy spirits, mostly because I can't afford to on my salary..

Konstantin smiles as he sweeps into the kitchen and I find myself wondering how a man could be so intimidating and so inviting at the same time..

I want to be here with him, I have wanted nothing more for the longest time, but I also want to run away and hide from all my humiliation.. After our last encounter, I am nervous to know where all this might be heading..

My heart will certainly break if I am rejected by two men in one night.. I don't think my ego can take the hit..

"Da, thiz is why I share only with thoze I like vury much." He winks a candy caramel eye at me before retrieving two frosted glasses from his freezer..

I glance around, looking for the source of the unique and intriguing scent.. "What is that smell? Are you cooking something?"

"Nyet.." He rummages through the ice-box.. "It iz Valerian root.. I take it.."

"Take it for what?" I plop down on one of his bar stools and slip out of my canary-yellow coat..

With a distracted sigh he rattles off symptoms.. "Many thingz.. For sleep.. For stress.. For after much drinking, when my head aches.."

I laugh, relating to all of his ailments.. "Oh, does it really cure hangovers? I think I need some of that!"

"Da, it workz.." He nods, opening his refrigerator.. "You must eat something, Luchenskaya.. You are not much but bones.."