Chapter TWENTY EIGHT

Lucky O'Cléirigh

A few hours later, I sit in the small interrogation room at the police precinct downtown, drinking the most disgusting cup of burnt black coffee of my life.. Beside me my sister crosses one knee over the other, looking every bit the formidable attorney she is in her tight black pencil skirt and navy blue button down.. The way she glares in punishment at the two Detectives with a severe scathing stare is almost enough to make me feel bad for them.. Almost, but not really, because neither of them deserve my sympathy today.. One of them is a coveting creep and the other is a jealous jerk..

"Detective Donovan, do you call this cracking police work, then?" Kirby scolds, tapping her bright red nails on the table top.. "You have Lucky on CCTV, clearly entering and exiting the theatre during the time of death, not to mention traffic cams and multiple witnesses to confirm it, her alibi is infallible.. You have absolutely nothing, and the fact that you even insisted on dragging her down here to answer your bullshit questions would be fucking laughable if it didn't make you both so goddamn incompetent, as if the entire department were here to simply service a desperate attempt to control your ex-girlfriend's life!"

"Yeh' givin' me way too much credit, Mrs Paxton.. I could nayr'ave orchestrated a coincidence this convenient.. And I could'nee ever control Miss O'Cléirigh.. She never did listen to me.." Donovan leans back in his chair, his azure gaze piercing my soul, a coldness to them like ice that burns it's way over the contours of my face as he assesses me.. "Its not her we're after, anyway.. But datin' a known Bratva associate like Ivanov was bound to draw the wrong kind of attention, she must'a known that people would talk.."

He runs a hand back through his sandy blonde hair and with the motion I am reminded of the last time we spoke, when he had warned me about Konstantin.. If people are talking about me, the only way they could have known about my relationship with the Russian, is him..

Brody has been running around and flapping his mouth about me as if I were public enemy number one and I'll never forgive him for it.. I had been a fool to think that after we broke up we could remain friends.. It's clear now from the way he looks at me, brooding with a hint of hatred, that we will never be anything ever again..

I don't know when exactly it happened or how, only that Brody had gone from being a man I believed to be good in his heart to one who I don't know at all..

"Well, if you wish to question Mr Ivanov, I suggest you find him and try not to make a mess of that too, but like my client already told you, the man was with her all night, so I don't see what good that will do.." Kirby begins to pack up her notepad and pens, fitting them nearly into a black leather binder..

"So she can account for him the entire night, can she? He didn'ee leave her sight, not even for a second?" Brody leans forward to leer at me with those glacial eyes of envy.. "Think carefully now, Lucky-Doll.."

I've never seen him so cruel and cold before.. He is not the Brody I had known..
He is not the man I had thought he was..
He is a stranger to me with face of a man I had one cared for.. With lips I had kissed believing he cares for me too..

I swear, I will never learn that any and every man I am attracted to is bad to the bone, no matter how sweet his surface might seem..

"You don't have to answer that, Lucky--" Kirby holds up a hand to signal that I should stay quiet, but I don't let her silence me..

I have always tried to do the right thing in the past.. I mind my P's and Q's.. I prey and seek forgiveness from the Lord.. I keep myself pure and hold faith in my heart.. I have always behaved as a good girl, I kept my judgments to myself and never said anything if I didn't have something nice to say..