Chapter FORTY NINE

Lucky O'Cléirigh

"Really?-- Are you-- Are you proposing to me right now?" I stammer in disbelief, the flutter I'm my chest rising up into my throat to choke me up as the sting of happy tears prickles behind my eyes..

"Da.. I am.." Konstantin nods surely, as though he had simply asked me for something as trivial as the weather forecast.. The only detail telegraphing the anxiety of awaiting my response is the nervous bob of his Adams apple as he swallows hard.. "My Solnyshko, I have loved you all thiz time and more.. I have been waiting, watching you bloom into thiz sweet rose.. Your smile.. Your laugh.. Your light.. Malishka, you flourish and blossom more beautiful each day.. I did dream ov' you evury night.. But never did I dare to believe 'zat you would wish to marry an old dog such az me.."

"You aren't an old dog! You're a Bear! My old Bear!" I giggle, my laugh pitched high with all the joy of church bells as I scoot closer to him..

"Ah, da.. 'Zat iz what I am to you, I know thiz.." The smile he wears tonight is rare and radiant as white diamonds and silver moonbeams as he tangles his fingers deeper in my satiny champagne locks, relishing the saccharin scent of liquorice and liquor.. "I am not so young and innocent az you, it iz true.. I am made of many mistakes and will make many more.. For thiz, I will die much before you.."

"Jesus Christ, is this supposed to be romantic?! Everything is darkness, death and despair with you!" I shake my head and scold his cynicism in playful disagreement.. "You're so Russian!"

Konstantin smirks back at me, a pearly devilish grin.. "Da, da, perhapz.. But thiz doez not change the fates, Malishka.. It iz my wish it to die first, becauze I can not live a day without you.."

"Oh no! I can't live without you either.." A strangled sob slanted with a dismissive huff expels quickly from my lungs.. I hate to think of death in the same ways that he seems at ease with.. It is as though he has accepted his end entirely, grim himself couldn't frighten The Russian.. I on the other hand have not yet begun to acclimate to the idea of death.. Truthfully, it scares me..

I don't want to die..
Not when I have only just begun to live..

"Whatever time I do have left, it iz time I would wish to spend with you.." Konstantin takes my hand dotingly between his to pet my knuckles in comforting affection, the simmer of his dark cinnamon stare sweet and keen, intent to remain locked on mine with such certain confidence.. "What I am asking iz if perhapz you would want to spend tomorrow with me, and every tomorrow I do survive.. Marry me, Solnyshko, allow me to become a lucky man.."

"Oh, God yes!” Unthinking and drawn by his hold on my invisible heartstrings that pull in my chest, I launch myself forward into his arms and together we tumble back into the silky comfort of the mattress.. "Yes, I'll marry you, Bear!"

"Owh.. Easy! You will kill thiz old man!" He groans in teasing misery when I land squarely on his broad bare chest, my hands planted firmly on either of his hardened inky pecs..

"Oh, shut up and kiss me you big baby!"
My mouth descends to meet his in the most tantalising and transcendental of moments, our kiss coursing in electric currents and all mindfulness is lost to me.. Swept away in a current of passionate longing, the culmination of years of pent up tensions.. "I love you so much, Konstantin, I'll never let you go.."

I was made for this moment and he was made for me.. Every heartache and every pain we have lived has led us to the here and now, where our hearts would meet and heal one another with an everlasting love..

When he growls a soft, husky and honest whisper in my ear, the rise of goosebumps rushes across my skin.. "I love you, vury much, Lucky.. I swear now to become a better man for you.. The kind of man you deserve.."