Chapter THIRTY SEVEN

Konstantin Ivanov

-BUZZ-BUZZ-BUZZ-

The winter wind blusters around the terrace, catching the ash from the cigarette I stub out before I dig into the pocket of my jacket to answer the call that vibrates a low resonating hum..

When I see the familiar number flashing across the screen, a flint of optimism, faint and fruitful flickers in my chest.. I know I shouldn't answer it.. I should ignore her call and allow the aching break to heal.. But I don't have the strength to resist.. For the last week I have been nothing but a drunk, useless fucking mess, failing at everything and achieving nothing, apathetic to it all.. Because I miss my sunshine, more than anything.. "Da? Solnyshko, I did not expect for you to call--"

"K-Konstantin? I-I d-did s-something t-terrible.. I d-dont know what to d-do--" Lucky's stuttering sobs snake down the line and into my ear and my protective impulse is set alight..

A panic pricks at the back of my neck to twist my muscles tense and turn my blood hot.. For the first time since I was handed down a prison sentence all those years ago, I feel a true sense of fear..

I had been scared before I was sent to Siberia, the unknown of it all had almost been enough to break me and now, that same palpating fear grips my heart..

I am afraid for her..

"Calm yourself, Moya Lyubov'.. Tell to me what iz the matter?" As gently as I can muster, I croon to her in a soothing soft tone, coaxing her to answer me with fewer tears and less stress so that I may make sense of her need..

Why has she called me when the last words I had spoken to her had been so cruel?
What could she possibly have done that is so terrible?

"I-- I'm in so much trouble.. Please--I need you.." She sucks in sharp breaths between sobs..

Need.. She needs me..
How those words terrify and titillate me all at once..

I make my way back inside, crossing to the kitchen to take one of the mounted Karatel combat knives down from the wall, tucking the sharpened blade into my belt.. "Where you are, Malishka? Are you in danger?"

"No.. I'm at home-- oh god, help me.. I'm so scared.." She whimpers and the sound of her terror tears me apart as all the terrible things that could be wrong wind through my thoughts..

I force a steady tone and shove my doubts aside, determined not to allow my emotions to distract me from the task..

I will protect her.. Whatever the cost..

"I am coming to you, Solnyshko.." I pluck my car keys from the counter, heading quickly for the door.. "Stay there.. Wait for me.."

"Please--Konstantin.." She whispers a final and desperate raspy plea.. "You have to hurry.."

....

I race up the service stairs two at a time to Lucky's thirteenth floor apartment and as I make my way down the hall towards her door I see that it is cracked open.. When I step into her home the first thing I see is the blood, the scent of it is familiar and metallic, like rusted iron and copper it permeates the air.. Crimson claret stains the soft beige carpet and a smear of red is painted across one of the white walls as well as the grey sofa where Lucky sits.. Really just about everything is splattered in a spray of scarlet.. "Malishka-- Blyat!"

My eyes pass over the rumpled heap of disheveled death and the sanguine puddle of fluid on the living room floor before they scan across the scene to land on Lucky..
She is stiff with shock, staring off into distant space and pale as a ghost as her lips move slowly to whisper in quiet prayer.. "Lord forgive me, have mercy on my soul.. I'm so sorry.. I'm so sorry.."