Chapter FORTY TWO

Lucky O'Cléirigh

It's half past midnight by the time we pull up at the curb outside of the downtown dicehouse.. A neon sign Illuminated by an eerie red glow, hangs above the door to read the establishment's name; 'Brat Na Pont - Russkiy Ruletka'.. The glowing text is embroidered inside the symbol of an eight-pointed star.. The Thieve's star.

That recognisable emblem is the same as those tattooed on Konstantin's shoulders and knees, stars I have caught glimpses of in our most heated, intimate moments.. It is the badge of the Bratva Brotherhood.

"So, this is your casino, huh?" I glance up and down the gritty southside street to see it is the most well kept building in what appears to be a rather dilapidated neighbourhood..

"Da, Malishka.. City tax is low and profit iz high in 'ze 616.." Konstantin offers me his hand with a confident, sharky grin and my fingers slide comfortably over the calloused skin of his palm as he helps me from the passenger seat of the car..

"What are we doing here, Bear?"

The Russian clicks the remote lock on his car keys, causing the security alarm to make a shrill 'bloop-bloop' sound, before he offers me his arm.. "We are here to make payment to Yuri and make disappear the security images from tonight.."

I puzzle at his impossible proposal, how could we possibly erase the security footage from my apartment? I've seen Konstantin become frustrated just using his phone, he is hardly a tech expert and he doesn't even have a single social media account.. In fact he seems to rather hate them.. "And just how in the name of the good Lord are we supposed to do that?"

Konstantin shrugs as he leads me across the sidewalk to pull open the dicehouse doors, stepping aside to allow me to enter first.. "I do not know, Malishka.. The tech-bullshit iz what I pay Luka for.."

"And who is Luka exactly?" My sneakers squeak against the old floorboards when I step onto the casino floor and in that very instant the air is vacuumed from the room as fifty or more tattooed men rise to their feet to stare at us as we enter, some of them seemingly bowing their heads in respectful silence..

"Uhh--Konstantin?" I whisper out the side of my mouth as he winds a warm arm around my waist to draw me close to his side in what almost feels like a possessive display.. A searing self-conscious blush begins to burn on my face with so many hard eyes scrutinising me.. "Why are they all staring at us like that?"

"Otstavit' brat'ya!" The Russian asserts a commanding shout to his heavily inked and intimidating comrades and they all quickly fall back into their seats, forgetting all about us as they resume their chatter, gambling and drinking..

"Good God.. These guys are your friends?" I mutter beneath my breath as he leads me forward with a dark chuckle..

"Nyet.." The Russian chuckles a rumble of dry amusement.. "They are my soldiers, Solnyshko.."

Before I can open my mouth again, a distinguished and handsome young man in a smart grey button down and tight black jeans steps away from the bar to greet us..
The guy must be about the same age as me, maybe a few years older, with a sharp cornflower blue stare, shaggy black hair and several small face tattoos, including a black rose and dagger inked on his cheek, just below his sparkling azure eyes..

He is the epitome of attractiveness, confident and cool, oozing a wicked bad-boy energy that could only be outdone by the gorgeous prize already standing beside me..

No man's appeal will ever compare to Konstantin's magmatism, but this guy, whoever his is, comes a close second..

"Komandir!" The young buck grabs Konstantin by the hand to shake emphatically and The Bear slaps him heavily on the shoulder in return.. The informality of their greeting tells me a lot about the two since I have only ever seen My Russian behave so cordially with one other person, my Brother in law, Hunter..