Madam Mochizuki

“The rivalry between Euxiris and Agasis was the bloodiest in history. They had this deep hatred for each other. Why do you think that is?”

Monet, their philosophy teacher, a tall woman with light brown hair and pale skin, asked the entire class.

Her eyes swept over the class, searching for raised hands. A handful had risen.

Fa was the first one to do so and Monet allowed her to speak with a mere nod of her head.

“They were fundamentally different. Agasis was the God of Life and Order and Light while Euxiris the God of Death and Chaos and Darkness. How could they have ever gotten along?”

The other students dropped their hands, some nodding in agreement, some a little upset they hadn’t gotten to give the right answer. Damian’s hand stayed low. He was hiding his phone under his desk, eyes pinned on the message on the screen.

Philosophy was one of the few classes Damian actively participated in. That day, his mind couldn’t be further away from the intricacies of a bunch of super powered beings going on wars cause they had nothing better to do that weekend.

Because at dawn Ebel had sent him a single paragraph.

Don’t come to the village until I tell you it is safe. There is someone dangerous in the woods . The woods are no longer safe. I will text you again when things seem calmer. I will babysit Nabi in your place for that time.

Damian’s skin turned icy cold every time he glanced at the screen but at the same time he couldn’t look away.

He knew something was off the second he saw Ebel had texted him.

Technology was very rare in the village, even more so than it was in the monastery- and he was aware from newcomers’ reaction that they were quite behind in that field. Few houses had phones and Ebel’s was not one of them. Meaning he had to go all the way to the city hall to send this message.

There was no way Ebel was lying to him- that just wasn’t who he was- but he also couldn’t imagine something bad happening in the village.

What this did, however, was strengthen his resolve to go to the village. If there was some danger lurking in the woods, he ought to stand by them during this whole ordeal. Who cares about angry moms and monasteries? His friend needed him.

While thinking all of this over, he had entirely missed the assistant that entered the classroom and called up his name.

Monet cleared her throat, blue eyes glaring at the device in his hand.

“Madam Mochizuki wants to see you,” she said firmly.

How did this day keep on getting worse?

The walk to madam Mochizuki’s office was long and tiring. It was many floor above the classroom and his feet were aching by the time he had gone through half the flights of stairs. He wanted to personally pick a fight with the architect because not only did they have the idea to make a place that sucked the life out of you but they didn’t even have the decency to combine a floor or two. No, this place absolutely needed to be the size of a freaking castle. As he advanced forward, the silence of the halls became more and more crashing.

Until there it was. Madam Mochizuki’s office. A door stared back at him. The name Cassandra Mochizuki written on the top in golden letters.

Now that he was supposed to knock, the fear settled in. He raised a hand, that he had to force to go still, and knocked on the door thrice.

Madam Mochizuki ordered him to enter at the second knock.

He opened the door, pleasant smile on his face, to reveal the art gallery that was madam Mochizuki’s office.