A Deathly Prophecy

Cassandra’s office had not changed much since last time he was there.

Predictably as less than two weeks ago, they had been celebrating that she had started developing Mind Magic.

Or rather using that as an excuse to drink a lot of champagne and talk about the good old days of childhood.

When Cassandra made fun of him and Meera for acting like an old married couple and their biggest issue were exams.

He could not help but notice she had added a new painting. Abstract art. If it could be called that. A bunch of dots of different sizes and shades lined up by each other and long lines splattered clumsily across the painting.

Somewhat of an odd addition as that was not her style usually. Nor his.

Goro, on the other hand, would like something like this a lot.

He wondered if that was why she had purchased it.

“I thought we had agreed to leave the past to the past, haven’t we, Davis?”

Cassandra’s smile looked so fake it would not be hard to confuse her with one of those dolls Meera used to be so obsessed with.

She was standing over all of them, every bit of the strong leader she was thought to be. She was wearing a long purple skirt and a dark brown jacket.

“No. You made the decision and then you expected everyone to blindly obey like well-trained dogs,” Davis shrugged.

Cassandra stared him down. He glared back. Both way too stubborn to back up first- if ever.

“We are all grown adults. We are not obligated to obey anyone. But we need to make an attempt to maintain peace. If not for us, for the monastery. It wouldn’t be good for Leon to have to deal with us bickering at a time like this,”

And there went Helios Daemon playing the diplomat. While everyone was on edge- even his oh so beloved Isabella- he was lunging comfortably on the chair.

His shirt was one third open.
Needless to say a lot more than was acceptable in a professional setting. He looked like he was in a freaking restaurant waiting for his order.

Isabella was seated right beside him, legs crossed. She let out small sighs there and then. He had a feeling that she was not fully with them mentally.

“His Divinity,” Cassandra corrected him firmly “But yes. He does not need more pressure.”

“Oh please tell me more about how I apparently want to torture your precious offspring,” Davis grinned sarcastically.

Although he and Cassandra were close, he could not say the same thing about his Divinity. Partly because the boy was incredibly full of himself- as expected of any child raised by Cassandra Washington.

But also because the God’s presence brought out the small envy he held for his long best friend. After all, she may have lost her love but at least she had her child…

“I am not accusing you of that,” Cassandra sounded genuinely disgusted at the mere implication.

“Then enlighten me. How would you react if Goro had been murdered?” he spat out.

He had crossed the line. He knew it from how Cassandra’s face fell apart and she clutched at her desk for support. He started calculating the chances of being slapped and they only got higher as seconds went by.

Fortunately- and unfortunately- Isabella prevented it.

“Miguel was no murderer. He was not a good man but he was no monster either,” she spoke softly, almost involuntarily.