What A Pity

Ebel was shaken awake at around dawn by the unintelligible mumblings of his father. His first instinct when he woke up was to grab his pitch black hand, the one that did not entirely feel like his own. He had developed this foolish fear that it would simply crumble to dust one day. He sat up to get a better look and ensure that everything was well.

Since they had a guest over, he had figured it was only fair to give Torey some space to herself so he would sleep on a futton in his parent's bedroom for now. He would feel quite uncomfortable in her position.

Actually, he already felt extremely uncomfortable. Constantly holding the knowledge that someone else was lurking around his house in the back of his head sent chills up his spine. He did not feel like he could wonder about his house freely.

Not that it was Torey's fault. She mostly stayed inside the room and stuck to herself, only really coming out to pick up food. He did not know if her silence made the situation easier or harder to handle.

And there was nothing he could do about all of this. What had Damian been thinking?

His father muttered something again. Perhaps he was having a nightmare again. Ebel had to calm him down now or his dad would not be able to sleep the entire night. He had no idea how his mother did not even flinch. Maybe she was used to it. And if so, how long had this been going on for?

One thing at a time...

He raised himself on his knees and comfortingly shook his father awake. Noe flinched like he had been hit.

"Come on, dad. I will make you something soothing to drink, okay?" he whispered.

Noe blinked dazedly at him like he could not fully comprehend him. Ebel simply held his hand and helped him get up. Holding the majority of his dad's weight as they stumbled towards the living room was painful for his bones. He placed his dad down on his chair and whispered for him to stay there.

While he brewed the tea, he overheard  Noe's continued muttering. He sighed and prayed for the tea to be done quicker. Finally, he placed it in a cup and brought to his father's lips, helping him take in small gulps at a time.

"The cat..." he said hoarsely "It had such bright eyes. One blue, one green..."

"A cat can't do nothing to harm you, father. Especially while you are at home. Drink up and then you can sleep soundly again," he whispered soothingly.

After he had managed to calm Noe, he had to deal with the even more arduous task of basically carrying him back to bed. Bones now screeching for help, he decided he was not going to be getting much more sleep.

Looking over his almost emptied cabinet, he decided it would be a good idea to head over to the river for some ingredients.

Quaboth simply could not bring himself to sleep. The constant noise and liveliness of the woods simply did not inspire sleepiness in him. Dark circles were forming under his eyes.

He grabbed a brown leaf and crushed it in his palm. He brought the crushed pieces closer to his mouth and he blew air at them, watching mindlessly as they flew away.

"When are you ever using your mind?" the demon mocked.

Tummy placed her head on his thigh and whined. He patted her on the head.

"You bored too, girly?" she licked his hand in response.

Abruptly, he stretched and got up. Tummy barked at her rude pillow that had dared disrupt her comfort.

"Let's go for a walk," he yawned "I might die from boredom if I don't get moving."

Tummy's whole attitude flipped and she bounced around excitedly. He chuckled fondly and motioned for her to fall after him. It should be no trouble as long as they stayed away from the village.