Glimpses Of Galaxies

Xiris had began considering the benefits of showing off the shadows to the whole class just so he would have something actually entertaining to watch. It was the first lesson of the day and he was already bored to death and back.

He lounged on his chair, legs outstretched, while his eyes scoured for someone that did not look entirely uninteresting. The magic energy in the whole classroom was one tenth of the one in a singular sidewalk in the Abyss.

A pretty guy glanced his way and he chatted with him for a while for the fun of it, though they did not have much to say.

The admittedly pleasant but not gripping conversation got interrupted sharply as the guy’s eyes flickered to the door and widened. Silence descended on the classroom like a firm fist.

And the source of this overwhelming terror was none other than a regular looking woman. She smiled, amber eyes lightening up, and the class loosened, whispering hushed comments amongst themselves.

The teacher took off her heavy coat and left it on her chair before seating herself on the desk by the window. His acquaintance was trying to pick up the conversation again but Xiris was more so fixated on trying to discover what it was that gave her this eerie atmosphere.

There was nothing instantly unique about her to make her stand out in the crowd, aside from the fact that her orange sweater was making him nauseous and not doing her dark complexion any favors. Yet something about the length and shape of her nose, the thickness of her eyebrows, the tilt of her mouth and the faint freckles dotting her face jumped out and screamed a name he could not grasp.

“Miss Lucia, are you feeling any better?” a student asked abruptly.

“Yes, thank you for asking. It was nothing but a cold really,” she comforted the student, only the barest hint of an accent in her voice.

Lucia… where had he heard that one before-?

Damian Reyes Lucia. The name returned to him in a second. The name of the same person who had seemingly decided to ignore him as soon as his precious knight came into the picture.

No, he was not jealous. Naturally not. That would be merely ridiculous.

“Hey, Lucia, did Sunshine return home last night?” he shouted.

Was he lashing out in spite? It could be argued he supposed. Pushing that thought aside, he leaned his face against the back of his palm and smirked.

“Sunshine?” she irked an eyebrow.

“Your son, remember?”

Her mouth morphed into a straight line, her stare growing cold.

“Return from where?” she gritted her teeth, squeezing her eyes shut.

Looks like Sunshine would be in trouble at home.

Xiris shrugged, pushing his chair back and crossing his legs.

“It is none of my business to know what your kid is doing,” he responded.

“Agreed, Crow. Your business is to be a student and act accordingly so cease speaking up without permission and sit up straight,” she ordered sternly.

“Would be kind of hard. This is me we are talking about,” he whistled.

Isabella sighed at his antics, but less than a second later, the wheels started turning in her brain and she shifted towards him.

A good amount of distance still remained between them. Yet a cold sensation trickled up his spine and he flinched. Her whole stance brimmed with understanding, a sense of superiority. The intensity of her gaze held knowledge that he himself did not comprehend and it was sickening.