Transformation

The celebration ended when the last person stumbled off to their house.

The sun creeped back in the sky, showering the lonely plaza in a variety of pink and orange hues.

At around that time, Xiris, Damian and Ebel met by the edges of the forest.

"Does everybody get the plan?" Damian questioned for the fortieth time.

Xiris nodded. Ebel looked like he needed a painkiller as soon as possible but all he did to show his annoyance was sigh.

Since they all were on board- reluctantly on Ebel's side, they begun going up the mountain.

It was a long trail up there. It felt longer than usual because the atmosphere was quite tense. Ebel all around had the aura of not wanting to be there and

Xiris made no attempt to strike conversation. Damian tried to engage them both in even light chit chatter but to no avail.

The trip did not provide him with the spark of excitement it often did. When he spotted Torey waiting for them, relief flooded his chest.

Torey was clearly not as pleased. Her short black hair was a mess, a bird nest seated on top of her hair. Big dark bags were hanging beneath her eyes. She might as well have been dragged out there.

Which was unsettlingly accurate...

For the first few seconds, they stood awkwardly, staring at each other, expecting for someone else to speak up first. Damian attempted feebly to break the ice.

"Everybody still on board?" he asked.

"I am only here because this cannot be any worse than school," Torey rolled her eyes "So can we not stall please?"

"Yeah," Damian chuckled uncertainly "Not like we have much time anyway."

"How are you even planning to pull this off?" Torey questioned "This guy... we do not look very similar."

"Ebel is a Life Mage. I have talked to you about his powers before. He made a blend that will do the trick," Damian lied through his teeth.

Torey groggily blinked at him but fortunately let the little lie go. Her eyes narrowed down at Ebel.

"So that's the famous Ebel? Damian rambles about you almost as much as he does about his Divinity,"

"Um... nice to know?" it sounded more like a question than anything else but he seemed to get over the shock quickly "Pleased to meet you."

"You too,"

In reality, neither appeared elated to be in this situation but they were being polite. Damian prayed to all Gods they would get along and hopefully even grow a bond.

It would be morning soon. Damian realized they had to go, though he found himself very reluctant.

"We need to go," Ebel uttered hesitantly
"If mom wakes up and I am gone, she will get a heart attack."

"Of course," he agreed "Send my regards to Noe."

"I will," Ebel's voice was empty, like somebody else was speaking.

Damian's already weak smile faded away.

Xiris wrapped an arm around his shoulders when a minute passed without him doing anything.

That snapped him back to reality and he plastered an apologetic smile on his face, affirming to Ebel- who had paled significantly in the few minutes he had blanked out to the world- that he was alright and simply a little tired.