Life Given Form

The Goddess was life given form. Her smile illuminated any room she walked into and she waltzed through the world like a garden made specifically for her.

Yet her element truly manifested when she did not get her way.

Her face would drain out as if all life had been drawn out of it. The corners of her mouth would grow sharp and her words would leave just as many scars behind.

Ava had expected the very worst when she approached her, envelop in hand, a formal apology sent directly from the monastery.

What she had not expected was for the Goddess to laugh at the letter, for her eyes to wander over it like it was an art piece gifted to her by a toddler.

"Danger, they say?" she bit down on her scarlet red lower lip.

"I fear so, your Divinity," Ava mouthed "We might have to cancel our trip."

"You have very little in your head, don't you?"

The Goddess did not glance up from her reflection. She delicately applied a golden eyeshadow to her upturned eyes, smoothing it over elegantly.

Ava's cheeks blazed up and she flapped her mouth open and closed.

"Stop that," the Goddess ordered.

"Your parents said we ought to return,"

"They will survive. But my ego will not if I back down,"

"Back down from what?"

"There are two possibilities from what I can see. One, they are unprepared and fooling us, in which case to leave would be proof of my stupidity. Two, they are speaking the truth and the reincarnation of Euxiris has decided to make his magnus opus," she motioned for Ava to bring her dress.

"Yes, but what if it is the second one?" Ava questioned.

"Then, I would be no better than a coward to back down. If this God wannabe wants blood, I shall give him a war,"

The Goddess rose. She slipped inside the dress and stared at her reflection in the gilded mirror. She smiled as Ava finished buttoning it up.

"How do I look?" she phrased it as a question but Ava knew there was only one acceptable answer.

"Divine,"

"I am aware. Can't afford to look like an urchin even while in battle," she declared, running her hands through her hair.

"Of course," Ava nodded.

"Ava, when was the last time you talked with Havel?" she questioned.

"About since the breakup. Maybe earlier than that. She was quite busy with his... children," she scoffed condescendingly "He's smart. Unless those friends of his have turned his brain into soup, he ought to know what's best for him. If you want something from him, I am sure he can be persuaded."

"Oh no, you silly thing," the Goddess shook her head "I need nothing from him. I have an exchange to suggest."

"An exchange?" Ava cleared her throat "What kind of-?"

"Pass me my hand mirror. You are really moving like a turtle today,"

Ava bit down the remarks that passed through her head. She handed the mirror to the Goddess. Her feet scraped along the floor as she was finally dismissed.

Meanwhile, her Divine's striking dark eyes remained glued to the mirror. She caressed its silver surface, thumb temporarily lingering over the ruby on top.

She whispered something but her words got carried over by the gust of wind when Ava opened the door.

She caught a glimpse of desolated streets before the door shut closed.