Surprise Visit

Cassandra let out a deep breath as she walked towards her office. Everything from the top of her head to her toes was aching. It had been a long time since she had gotten a decent night's sleep. Certainly not since Leon had laid before her, bruised and broken. Perhaps not in years...

At least Goro was here now. That made everything a tiny bit better. She did not know how he managed to stay so stable within the chaos but she adored him for it.

Oh, how was she ever going to make it up to him for that...

Her ears perked up as she caught a metallic noise of sorts. She blinked awake in a second. The closer she got, the louder the clacks and scratching became. She was fully awake as she turned the corner, prepared to fall upon a fight and have to rush back to get help.

Her heart was pulsing against her chest, urging her to run away. But she needed to know what was happening in her monastery. She stilled herself and looked up.

People came in and out of her office like it was their property. A man waltzed out of the room, her chain in arms.

She bristled and marched up to him, grabbing him and pulling him back.

"What are you doing?" she asked slowly, trying to keep her tone calm.

"I am sorry, madam. Divine's orders," he winced away and walked away from her, head held low in shame.

She went to barge inside but Anya came from her office and grabbed her arms to hold her back.

"Please, Cassandra, don't make this harder for me than it has to be," she pleaded, clutching at her shoulders.

"You are in on this?!" Cassandra flared up.

"Leon learned about the dungeon and he reacted badly. Very badly. I think it is better for him let it all out," Anya tried hopelessly to calm her down.

"Let me pass," Cassandra demanded sternly.

Anya frowned and dropped her hands in defeat. Cassandra passed through. Her body froze as she stared at her space.

It was half-empty already, vacant and unfamiliar. She remembered painstakingly picking out the shades of the walls, the decorative art pieces. In the few hours, she had left to take care of the business Leon so cruelly, easily threw aside as insignificant of his attention. And it had all been thrown away. She had been thrown away.

"Tell them to stop," she ordered through gritted teeth.

"I would if I could," Anya said.

Cassandra shook her head. She approached her office. On top of it, there was a weirdly shaped turtle Leon had made her when he was five. It did not look like a turtle, more like a round mass.

She picked it up gently and placed it in her pocket.

Was she tearing up? She only just realized the droplets dripping down her cheeks.

She wished she was back home in Japan, sitting by the fireplace, while she and Leon played board games, his smile illuminated by the cracking fire.

Anya wrapped an arm around her shoulder and gently pulled her away from what used to be hers.

Havel wrapped a blanket around the sleeping girl. Torey was laying against the tree trunk, perfectly in peace, even as the world reached the brink of madness all around her.

"How will we be contacting the monastery?" Anthalla questioned.

I have already sent out a letter. They should be informed of the proposed exchange shortly.