Death Itself

(WARNING: there will be violence in this chapter. Anyone who is not comfortable with blood should skip through the Abyssal Gang scene)

Havel took his glove off, letting them fall to the ground. Anthalla unfastened her dagger for its sheath. Doll raised her hand towards the intruders.

The apparent leader of the group rushed towards them.

Havel ducked away and grabbed the man by the fabric of his vest, pulling him back. He kneed the man's stomach. While he had doubled over from the pain, Havel struck him on the back of his neck with his elbow.

The man fell down, gasping for air, as Havel stepped down on his shoulder, keeping him pinned there. He gazed up at the rest of the group that was running at them.

In the name of the Abyss, I allow you to use any force necessary.

At Havel's pointed remark, Doll moved her wrist on a clockwork spiral. The shiny image of a clock, its fingers thoroughly shattered, while it span around uncontrollably.

The bodies of the men twisted and creaked as an invisible force drew them back. They ran foward but then it dragged them back again, an endless spilar, helpless entities trapped in an eternal time loop.

Their eyes widened in terror as it dawned on them that they were no longer the ones in control of themselves. Perhaps they meant to scream for help when Anthalla lunged her dagger into their throats, yet their mouths remained sewn shut.

Blood spilled on the clear grass, painting it a deep red. The men continued running back and forth, prisoners even in death. Doll released them and the malfunctioning clock before her vanished into smoke. The soulless bodies crumbled to the floor.

Anthalla stood upright and sighed down at her coat, murmuring about how it would take centuries to wipe the blood off of it. Havel turned his attention to the leader again.

He pressed his foot against his back, shoving him down on the ground. The man yelped helplessly, thrashing about, but it was a pointless endeavor. Havel kneeled on top of him and slowly slid his fingers down his face, almost a mockery of affection, until they lingered right above his eyeball.

I am not satisfied with the information you have provided us.

"Get off me, you monster. I have nothing to say to you!" he screamed like his throat was on fire.

You have. Everything and anything you know. You will speak.

"And how are you gonna convince me exactly, you freakish coward-?"

He was snickering condescendingly until Havel jammed his nail into his eye. Then, he cried out, an animal that finally realized it owns doom. Whether he was begging or cursing at him was irrelevant to Havel.

He got up, picked his gloves back up and placed them back on with great care, making sure not to soil them too much. The man, still sobbing, lifted his weight onto his arms and tried to rise up.

He was still trying to fight. Even though he had no help, no odds of survival. His spirit was ever present. And Havel in that moment pitied this man, wished that he had chosen someone else to draw this information out of. Because it was truly a horror for such loyalty to go to waste.

Alas, this soldier's loyalty did not belong to his side so he did what had to be done.

Doll, assist me if it is possible.

Doll did not deign to look at the crying man but her hand leaped forward and she twisted her wrist again. The man screamed and curled up in a ball while his eye recontructed itself only to be destroyed again.