May Logic Churn In The Abyss

Rowan trampled away from them, madder than Damian had ever seen them. His stomach hurt from the effort to hold down his snickers. Soon as they walked away, he burst out into laughter. Ebel eyed him in disbelief.

“You are their mortal enemy now,” he told Xiris.

“Tell them to get in line,” Xiris laughed.

“They were correct though,” Ebel spoke up weakly “I am sure a direct apology to the mayor would have sufficed-.”

“You people practice subtlety up here?” Xiris scoffed “Maybe it would have sufficed but annoying authority figures is fun.”

Ebel’s cheeks flushed and his pout indicated that he entirely disagreed.

Damian was prepared to kick Xiris for this one. Not to say that he didn’t agree but did he have no idea how much of a jerk he was coming of as?

“Speaking of fun… this isn’t really that. Sunshine, can I leave you in charge of the kids?”

Damian, despite his rising frustration, agreed and Xiris calmly walked off, entirely unaware- or uncaring- of the fires he had set.

“Sorry for him. He is being a bit much now but-,”

“You should not have to apologize for him!” Ebel cut him off sharply.

Damian jostled back. Ebel looked almost instantly regretful of his words and reached for him. In a meek second, his hand quivered and fell down by his sides. Yet he did not take his words back, pout firmly planted on his face. It was the most angry Damian had ever seen his usually sweet friend.

“Oh, were you expecting an apology?” he blurted out the words as the obvious truth hit him on the forehead.

“Not expecting,” Ebel uttered shyly “But isn’t it obvious that is the right thing to do after a situation like that? Don’t you want one? I mean, he is making amends but isn’t he a bit too practical about it?”

Damian stayed silent.

Suddenly, he felt immensely guilt for not having paid closer attention to his friend.

Everything had just been so… otherworldly. Xiris was something new, a strange person whom he had yet to figure out. So for that split moment everything had revolved around him.

Ebel and him, however, had not shared the same experiences when it came to Xiris. He had saved him from his certain death. Had effectively put his life above an item which was clearly valuable to him. He was also doing this entire scheme for his sake as he clearly did not care if the orphanage showed up for long.

Ever since, he has truthfully been leaning a bit closer to him, searching his eyes a little more. Much more willing to ignore the ‘small’ fiasco.

Ebel, on the other hand, had no reason to not strongly dislike him. Plus, Xiris had been rather distant. He had not been outright rude, which was more than he had expected to be fair.

He had not really paid much attention to him as they wandered through town.

Even to Damian he had only spared a few comments…

He was busy but still.

“I… kind of owe him one so I don’t want an apology. But you are right. He should have offered one anyway. I will talk with him,”

Instead of looking any more relieved, Ebel blinked and crossed his arms.

“Why are you trying to… like, be reasonable. Or take responsibility?”