Below The Earth

“There is no point in approaching Xiris as it is,” Anthalla suddenly announced, walking up to them with Tummy tailing after her.

Everyone looked to be surprised at her seemingly out of nowhere epiphany. Minus Havel of course who rose from tge green grass to greet his sister.

So it did not go very well?

“May we mere servants know what our lords are talking about?” Quaboth smiled mockingly.

“I talked with Xiris,” Anthalla explained.

“Oh, of course, he showed up when he had chances of getting laid,” Doll rolled her eyes.

“That is not-!” her cheeks burned red before she deflated again “It does not matter anyway. It was even worse. I think the dragon in him is rearing its head.”

“The what in him?” Doll squinted her eyes.

Draconic instincts. After completing the hazardous journey of Ascending, dragons tended to become quite traumatized by what they had lived through. In order to process their pain without allowing it to destroy them, they developed a natural reaction to feeling like they, or their loved ones, are threatened.

“Natural reaction?” she irked an eyebrow.

“More or less anything that can and will kill you,” Quaboth quivered.

“Bad memories, Quaby?” she grinned wickedly.

“Before Xerxes left, Xiris was really easy to scare. A little prank and suddenly you had a monster with scales and teeth the size of your torso running after you,” Doll chuckled at Quaboth’s disturbed expression.

“This is not funny…” Anthalla pulled them back into reality.

Until Xiris has calmed down, it is dangerous to get too close. I suggest we visit the village to try and find out anything that could prove useful.

“Oh, please don’t drug me around the city to talk to people,” Doll cried out.

You do look the least like an Abyssal out of all of us. People are more likely to open up to you.

“Have you met me?!”

“I can do most of the talking,” Anthalla offered “We just need you around to explain to us any Surface things so we don’t look too suspicious.”

“Alright…” Doll relented.

Havel leaned in and pressed a kiss on her forehead. Doll froze up, her eyes widening. She did not leave the pose even as he stood up, like her mind had malfunctioned.

Quaboth-.

“I am staying. I have ruined things enough already. I can hardly deal with this stupid demon and I cannot guarantee I won’t attack again. Besides, I don’t look very normal, right?” the half-giant stated confidently.

“Q, you can always come with us,” Anthalla said sweetly

“I know, but it would be better if I did not,” he murmured “And there is no way I am going to change my mind.”

Tummy whined and crawled over to Quaboth then. She gently settled her face on his lap. Even the soft motion made him flinch, but after a little his hand started scratching behind her ear.

“Yeah, you too, dummy,” he smiled faintly.

Tummy should stay with Quaboth and we will go to the village to check out.

“I hope Xiris does not do anything too dangerous,” Anthalla mumbled.

“You never know. This is Xiris we are talking about,” Doll answered.