When The Bell Rings Thrice

The Red God wept

And the demons complied

The newborn cried

While Megaera died

Ebel sang the familiar hum of 'Megaera's end' beneath his breath. A somewhat odd song to sing while gathering leaves for tea. It had quite gruesome lyrics and a tragic story behind it but for some reason the rhythm had been imprinted in his mind for hours now.

Perhaps it was because he feared for Damian. More specifically Damian's stupidity- for lack of a better word.

He had sent the message warning Damian to stay away the previous night but knowing him, he would not be surprised if he burst into the room any second. The truth hurt sometimes but Ebel had known Damian since before he figured out being a girl just didn't really fit him and if there was a single thing he had learned in that time, it was that Damian lacked common sense.

The only thing that brought him some sort of comfort was that Damian wouldn't simply abandon school and run off, not when it could negatively impact his Divinity in any way.

Well, one worry at a time. His father's illness was getting worse by the day and he had yet to find a herb combination to heal it. However, he had found some that could take away his pain. But as the pain got worse, the need for those specific herbs rose and the quantity fell. His mother even offered to watch over the tea shop for an hour or two, although she had lately refused to leave Noe's side for more

She was exhausted. They both were. Ebel shouldn't tire them further by taking too long.

His garden was beautiful. Or perhaps he thought so because it was his. But the flowers were blooming even in autumn- with a little magical help admittedly- and the herbs filled the air with this spicy sweetness that he so adored.

Behind his garden that took up more than a hill, an old field where crops would normally be grown was standing. But he preferred not to look there.

He cradled his yellow fur coat closer to his bony shoulders. He had tied up his shoulder length auburn hair and he quickly regretted that decision when he awkwardly brought a hand up to scratch his cold neck and physically shivered at how cold he was.

By the Divines, he missed summer so badly...

Finally, he spotted the last ingredient he needed. Singing the same tune as before, he prepared to return home.

Then, the bell rung. The first ring had him smiling. The second time, the hair on the back of his neck stood up.

The bell rung a third time. He dropped the basket and ran up the hill.

He had never heard the bell ring thrice in his life but he knew what it was supposed to mean.

Once, a birth. Twice, a death. Thrice, a tragedy.

When he had reached up the hill, he was panting, heart racing in his chest. His knees were already shaking but he had to run faster.

Ebel only stopped when he saw Noe stumbling out of their house. He was clutching onto his walking stick for dear life, dressed in only his sleepwear, a fluffy red pajama.

"Dad!" he exclaimed "What are you doing out here?"

"The noise. Can't sleep with this cacophony," before he could finish, he doubled over, coughing.

Noe must have known what that noise meant. Alas, Ebel did not have time to worry about that.

"Dad!" Ebel went to him, holding him up.