54│POST-BREAKUP BLUES

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Tasha, hey, it's me, Jake Peralta. This is like the 200th message I've left you, without a response. So, if you're trying to tell me something, I do not know what it is because you won't call me back," Jake let out a dejected sigh after leaving yet another voicemail.

Rosa and Charles joined him at the table in the kitchenette.

He shoved his phone in their faces as he let out a depressed whine. "Here's my lady at the zoo. Here's my lady at the pancake house eating a short stack. Here's my lady screaming at me to stop taking pictures of her short stack."

Rosa grimaced. "Jake, what are you doing?"

"That's what she said when I took the picture," He cried, "Why did I let her go? Don't look at me!" He yelled as he stood up and stormed off towards the evidence locker.

Rosa sighed. "Terry, you're up."

Jake had been on a downward spiral for weeks now. After their breakup, Natasha seemed to have just disappeared. The 99 weren't worried because they knew she wasn't in danger since Holt wasn't worried and Rich wasn't in a frenzy trying to find her. Those were all good signs.

But Jake was not doing good. At all.

"Hey, Jake..." Terry trailed off when he saw Jake curled up in the corner of the evidence locker.

"My arms are so sore from doing so many push-ups," He tried to lie awkwardly.

"That seems like a lie."

"No, I'm trying to stay fit after the breakup," He insisted, "I've been eating salads, yeah, no dressing, mostly just the protein."

Terry raised a brow. "What kind of salad have you been eating?"

"The little chopped pieces of ham."

He frowned in confusion. "Just the ham?"

"Yeah. Mm-hmm. I don't like the lettuce. I think it's gross to eat stuff on earth that's green."

Terry decided to pick his battles and forced a smile. "Well, look, you know baby steps."

Jake shook his head. "Not baby steps, there were some pretty big pieces of ham."

Before they could discuss Jake's 'salad' consumption further, Rich poked his head in. "Squad meeting, now."

"Why are there bagels?" Jaked asked with furrowed brows and gasped, "And not just plain bagels, I see cream cheese! You're celebrating. What are we celebrating?"

Captain Holt nodded. "Good catch, Peralta. Cream cheese bagels are only for celebrations and today we are celebrating. Squad, please welcome back Detective Zapata, She has been undercover for the last two months and helped bring down a notorious crime ring."