25│THE ROAD TRIP

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Morning, detectives," Raymond greeted as he strolled into the bullpen, holding a case file, "Let's go over the prisoner transfer upstate."

"Perp's name is Jesse Hermick. We arrested him for nine counts of armed robbery, but he skipped bail," Natasha recounted quickly

"He was just picked up in Neustadter, New York, trying to pay for a hoagie with a gun," Jake explained with a chuckle.

"The sheriff is making us pick him up tomorrow morning at 6:30 A.M. so we're going up today and spending the night," Amy finished off.

The three had worked on the case together so the sheriff in Neustadter had demanded all three be present at the prison transfer.

Raymond nodded before holding out the case file. "Here are the transfer forms. Please don't..."

"Get any Jake on them?" Amy supplied helpfully, "I'll put them in a sealed baggie."

"And I'll make sure Jake doesn't go anywhere near them," Natasha reassured him.

"Good call," Jake nodded, "All the drinks I'm bringing are blue."

"Naturally," Raymond sighed, giving him a disapproving look. He turned to Amy, "Call me if you need anything."

"Yes, sir, will do," Amy nodded dutifully.

Then he turned to Natasha. "Call Kevin and me once you reach the B&B and then once you check-in. I also would like constant updates on the general state of your wellbeing."

Natasha smiled fondly and nodded. "You got it."

With that, he turned and made his way back to his office.

"You still haven't told him that I'm coming with you, did you?" Jay asked with a smirk as he walked up behind her and wrapped an arm across her chest, pulling her against him.

"Nope," She laughed, "And I'm not going to."

Jay chuckled as he kissed the top of her head. "So, I'm sneaking out of the building when he's not paying attention."

"Mhm," She nodded with an innocent smile, "Oh, guys, you don't mind that Jay is coming with us, right? Great, thanks. Don't mention anything to Holt. See at the B&B, bye," She sang quickly.

Jake watched as she and Jay walked away with her wrapped up in his arms as usual. He sighed and rolled his eyes before angrily shoving the rest of his things into his bag.

"They are so cute," Amy smiled fondly, "Teddy's never done anything that spontaneous or romantic. That's not fair. He did brew me a rose-infused pilsner once. But it tasted like hand lotion, and the bubbles didn't happen," She grimaced.

"Sounds bad," He nodded with a frown, "Oh, hey, I hope this is cool with you, but I invited Sophia to join me upstate too. The B&B we're staying at looks really nice. It's almost like it's haunted by fancy ghosts."