53│THE BIKE RIDE DRAMA

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Things were weird at the 99th precinct. During the Halloween Heist, Charles and Rich barged into the evidence room to get the cumberbund only to see Jake on one knee. They immediately assumed their favorite couple was engaged. That made for a very awkward announcement the next morning that Jake and Natasha were in fact not engaged.

No one knew why except for them. And not for lack of trying, especially on Rich's part, who actually figured out the reason why but pretended not to for Natasha's sake.

The letter Natasha had gotten was from the FBI. It was actually one of many, not that she ever got the others, which was actually why they'd hand-delivered that last one. During the heist, while she was going through Jake's stuff to figure out his plan, she found one letter. And then when she went to the evidence room to get the cumberbund, she found two boxes with a different dust patterns.

One of them had the cumberbund and the other had all the letters Natasha never received.

That was what she'd been looking at when Jake found her in the evidence room. And the reason she said no to his proposal, and the reason she yelled at him for hours straight. And the reason they'd almost broken up.

"Why?" She asked simply, her voice strained from all the yelling.

"I-I don't know," He shrugged lamely, hating how sad she looked and more than that, that he'd caused it, "I just guess I thought our relationship wouldn't survive that. And I got scared and you know I don't think when I'm scared."

"Even if we didn't work together, we can still be a couple," She said incredulously.

"If I don't see you every day, I will forget who you are. I'm like a goldfish," Jake grabbed her hands in his own, "Look, I made a mistake. A really big, stupid mistake, and I hurt you. But I never meant to. I am so sorry, Nat."

After days of begging and crying and groveling, Jake had managed to get Natasha to not break up with him. But that didn't mean she was happy with him. She'd just decided for once to try and make things work instead of burning his car, running away, and leaving a note behind that blamed whoever had made her mad for her 'disappearance'.

Currently, the 99 were sitting in the meeting room while Raymond told them about their cases. Natasha was assigned an undercover case that required riding a bike.

Once they were dismissed, she immediately grabbed Jake and dragged him out onto the roof.

"Did you decide you're still mad? Is this where you're going to kill me?" He guessed worriedly.

"Like I would do something so simple," She scoffed, offended before she shook her head, "This is serious. But for the record, I am still mad at you. Look, Jake, I'm going to tell you something I've never told anyone..." She took a deep breath, clearly reluctant, "I can't ride a bike."