Twenty-One

"Hey, sorry, but Im gonna have to cancel on our date tonight." I tell Heidi as we clock into work together.

She looks over at me with wide eyes. "What?! Why?"

"It's just been a really tough week with Bella, and I just don't have the energy to go out." I explain apologetically. I wasn't lying, necessarily. It had been a tough week with Bella. She'd misbehaved more than I'd ever experienced. Thankfully, she wasn't being disrespectful to my mom, it was me who she was being a little brat towards. Because it'd been such a bad week for me, my mom strongly encouraged me to go out.

Which is what I'll be doing...just not with Heidi. Juan invited me to his penthouse a couple of nights ago, and I hadn't been able to make time until tonight. We'd be having our first official 'secret date' tonight.

"But it was a double date, Ximena! I can't just show up alone."

"Just take your pick of the cuter guy and go out with him alone." I shrug.

She rolls her eyes. "I guess."

"Sorry." I apologize again, giving her a small smile.

She shoves me playfully, rolling her eyes. "It's fine. Have fun at home."

"Thanks." I say, nodding. I'll eventually tell Heidi that Juan and I are going to try dating again, but not yet. The less people that know about us, the less likely it is for the news to get out.

- - - -

"So," I begin. "what exactly should I wear?" I ask Juan over the phone as I begin to back out of my parents driveway. It was 7pm and I just dropped Bella off at my parents house. Now I had to go home and get dressed, then drive to Juan's place.

Juan chuckles. "Just wear something comfortable. Do you mind if I just order in? A pizza or something." he asks.

"Yeah, that's fine."

"Sorry, I'll have something more nice planned next time. Promise. This was just kind of last minute and I was busy today." he apologizes.

I smile, shaking my head. "No, this is perfect. I honestly don't have the energy to even get all dressed up anyway. This way is great."

"Okay, cool. What time are you coming?"

I bite the inside of my cheek, drumming my fingers on the steering wheel. "If I'm fast about it, I'd say in about an hour I'll be on my way." I say, nodding confidently. "If I overthink what I'm going to wear, expect me in about an hour and a half." I joke.

"You'll look beautiful no matter what you wear." he chuckles.

I say thank him with a big smile on my face and then we say our goodbyes.

- - - -

After much debate with myself, I finally decide on an outfit, and I think I look quite nice considering how bummy of a look it is. Thankfully I was able to dress it up with my moms old Louis Vuitton purse which she gifted me a few years ago, and some gold rings and necks laces.