Act 3. The End and The Beginning: Challenge #34

Alec POV

Alec POV

The scream surrounds the entire institute. Not one single Shadowhunter missing it. Its loud ringing drawing all sorts of attention to everyone around the Institute. 

I knew as soon as I heard it where it had come from and I also knew that if what I dreaded was true then we were going to have a very upset Jace on our hands. 

Heading back towards the infirmary, I see Izzy arrive before me, throwing open the door, her face full of dread. As I run to catch up with her, pulling open the infirmary door I sat Izzy sitting on what was Magnus's bed, looking curiously at something in her hands. 

Magnus and Vieve are both nowhere to be seen. 

"I don't think that was Magnus" Izzy's whisper hits my ears, my head whipping to face her as the puzzle pieces begin to fit together. 

Why he seemed so disinterested in me, as though he didn't even know who I was. 

But if that wasn't Magnus then who the fuck was it? And how on earth am I going to explain this to Jace

"I think Jace is going to be more worried about this" My little sisters says, making me realise I had spoken out loud and then she passes me the object she had been inspecting. 

A small, brown card with the letter V in calligraphy on the front. Dread fills me as I look to Izzy, her head slowly shaking and worry filling her eyes. Slowly I open the card to see what Valentine has written, 

I've got the cup 

And now Licille has bought me my other half.

Thank you for all your help,

V

My other half? What did he mean by that? Who was Licille and what had he done to Magnus to be able to try and appear as Magnus?

And god where the fuck did he take Genevieve?!

Jace POV

Jace POV

The scream causes me panic instantly. It fills my entire body with dread and anxiety, my body shakes with the volume of it. Something is wrong and badly wrong, I have never felt this pure level of dread in my life before. Just panic streaming through me. 

Instantly my feet are moving towards the sound of the scream, my brain struggling to comprehend the emotions filling me. Rounding the corner, the infirmary is in sight. The location of the scream and the last location of the girl I love. Prayers enter my mind that she left Magnus before the scream sounded through the halls. It wasn't her who had screamed. It was someone else. It was Magnus. It wasn't my girl. My Vieve. 

Except she wasn't mine anymore, she never was. I made sure she wasn't. 

Throwing open the door of the infirmary, Alec and Izzy are sitting on a bed. Both of them are looking down at Alecs hand. Vieve is nowhere to be seen nor is Magnus. Walking forward, Alec and Izzies heads snap up to meet my eyes. Worry, fear and dread present on both of their faces. 

"Where is she?" I snap, my voice coming out harshly, laced with emotion. 

Izzy just shakes her head, and she steps forward holding a small brown card in her hands. Passing it to me, Alec stands up as well, both clearly on edge and waiting for a reaction from me. 

The brown card, the calligraphy V on the front. V. 

Vieve. 

She's left. She's left and she didn't say goodbye. She left a FUCKING note.

"No she didn't" Alecs voice breaks my train of thought as I register I had been speaking out loud.  He again gestures to the card in my hands. My trembling hands. 

Slowly, I open the note. Tears pool in my eyes instantly, the words 'my other half' breaking me. Tearing me open from the inside out. My heart feels like its burning. Breaking. Collapsing. 

First Clary is taken, Hodges betrays us, Magnus is taken and returned, and now my girl is gone. 

My girl is taken. 

Or returned? Has she been with him this entire time? Was this the plan? 

"Alec was this her plan all along?" I don't know why I ask Alec. I just need someone to tell me something. Please tell me I'm wrong Alec, my mind silently begs him. 

She can't have planned this all along, I know she can't. She was terrified of him, her fear of him made her call me even in our lowest times. Her fear of him drove her to the Silent Brothers. She can't have been faking it this entire time. I know she can't. 

Alecs face displays true shock at the premise of my entire question. Had this thought not crossed his and Izzies minds? Was I alone in thinking of all the possibilities? 

"No she did not plan this Jace, she was taken. A man disguised as Magnus has taken her against her will. You know she is not in on this and neither is Clary." his voice is stern, leaving no room for argument and somehow it cleanses me of my insecurities for a minute. 

Except without the insecurities, all there is - is fear. 

"So Valentine has her, he has the cup, and who the fuck is Licille?" my voice rages across the halls of the infirmary. 

If she's been taken, he has plans for her. And knowing him they won't be peaceful nor will they do what they can to preserve her. 

"We don't know Jace but it's time to find out."