XVIII The Hope 1

"Left hand, hyung!" I lost in arm wrestling with my right arm, it's always Yeonjun as my last opponent. This is also about pride so I demand to have my strong arm to compete again.

"Sure." Yeonjun replies with a smirk. "Ready- Go!" Hueningkai as our judge leaves his grip on our fists and immediately led to a fifty-fifty situation-

No- I'm not letting him win!

"You have gotten a lot better-" Yeonjun smiles but immediately turns into a serious expression, "But- I'm stronger."

A loud thud- my arm is lying on the table. In contrast to my thoughts, I lost to him again.

"The arm wrestling champion goes to- Choi Yeonjun!" Hueningkai announces merrily. Everyone surrounds him except me, still sulking on my seat.

Then I sense a warm present coming closer, the man who always gave me the right words when I needed it. Oh I definitely need that now.

"I'm a loser. Yeonjun, he is strong, he should be the one." I sigh, look away from the man.

Even though I started working out, I still look petite. Everyone is taller than me. Especially Yeonjun, we have the same routine, eat the same, exercise the same... Am I not working hard enough?

"Taehyun, words shape reality, be careful for what you're manifesting, what you speak about yourself creates chemistry to every cell of your body. Now say that again." Mr Kim sits next to me, his tone was gentle rather than judging me.

Not like I forgot his teaching, it's just hard that reality makes me doubt, it's just hard to not see what I lack or feel negative when someone better than me exists in front of me.

"I am strong. I love working out. I'm chosen for a reason."

Right, that's the identity I decided for myself.

Mr Kim nods to my statement with a smile before he speaks again, "Success is not about having zero failures, it's how fast you get back to track. No one will be the chosen one unless they believe they're. You're not chosen for your physique, your appearance, your nationality, your knowledge. Since you're born, you're the same person with your future self— the successful version of you."

The most valuable lesson I learn from him is that present is part of our success, be it full of thorns or flowers, it is inevitable.

Just by knowing 'me' and 'the successful version of me' is the same person keeps me going.

"Thank you, I almost lost my track." I stood up, stretching my arms in relief. Time doesn't wait for me to get sulky all day.

Before I leave, Mr Kim grabs my wrist, "Do you still remember what kind of life you want? How's the picture?"

Suddenly Sunoo's drawing appears, the one he drew when I gave him the crayons... Wait- How can that happen?

Oh my- I'm actually inside his picture now.

F*k- I am dreaming?

But it feels so real, I can smell the refreshing grass, it's all soft under my feet.

I see a town of short buildings, an open square with colorful flowers and a fountain, the sound of water streaming is so calm to hear.

People are walking pass me, wearing genuine smiles as they talk to each other. I recognize them, they're people I know and yet to know, I greet all of them and they return me friendly.