Chapter 1

I have always had this feeling that I was connected to Adrien in a way. That I could feel the same pain he did when he felt it himself. This morning I woke up feeling awfully bad about myself, but I had no reason whatsoever to be feeling this way at all. I could say my life was going great.

Well, other than the fact that Adrien had no idea who I was, at least thats what it seems like. Adrien and I had history together sophomore year, but I never had enough confidence to walk up and say something to him.

When I left the bakery this morning I noticed the large gray clouds rolling across the sky. They made me feel sad, almost like they were smothering the air, making it hard to breathe.

"Girl, would you hurry up? We're going to be late and you literally live across the street from the school." I quickened my pace afraid of what my best friend, Alya, would do to me if my slow walking was the reason we were late to school this morning.

I had first met Alya in middle school. I guess when she caught me reading a book about her favorite superhero, she decided that she would take me under her wing and guide me throughout the school year. Now four years later, we are still best friends.

"What's going on with you?" Alya asked as we followed after the crowd of students herding their way through the front doors of our high school.

I glanced up at her and frowned, "Nothing, why?" I asked in all honesty. I knew nothing was wrong with me, but I had to make a mental note to check on Adrien today.

Alya rolled her eyes and pulled her glasses to the top of her head, and then gave me a defeated look. "Never mind. What do you have for lunch today?" She asked.

Alya asking this question was nothing new, being that my dad always remembered to pack her an extra macaroon or two.

I let out a little hum of joy and reached into my small waist bag and pulled out a ziplock bag full of macaroons and placed it into her already stretched out hands.

She flashed me a smile and allowed me to leave her so I could drag myself to home room. My favorite class.

I dropped into my seat that was located in the back of the class and used both of my hands to hold my head up as I began to wait the long ten minutes until class began.

"Hey," Nino slouched down in his assigned seat next to me and I was surprised to see that his face held a frown instead of his normally bright smile. Nino wasn't the one to usually be upset at school.

I noticed he was deep in thought after I had broke from mine. I had to ask what was wrong, and I did.

"You okay?" I placed my hand onto his shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze. Nino sighed.

"I don't know," He cleared his throat, staring down at our table. "Adrien just told me something that I really can't get out of my head.

"Like?" I asked softly, carefully.

Nino took a deep breath and wiped his glasses on his shirt, "He hasn't been himself lately and..." his voice trailed off and he finally looked at me. "he told me they called of the search for his mom."

Nino couldn't find his words correctly, his sentences forming together confusingly. He realized this for himself and shook his head.

"I mean..." A nervous hand drummed fingers onto our table. "He told me they called of the search, I was a bad friend, and just... left."

I nodded sadly. They had called of the search for Emelie? Had my feelings been right? Was Adrien really feeling as awful as I had this morning?

I gave Nino a warm smile, "You're not a bad friend at all, Nino. He's just going through it, you know. I mean, I wouldn't take it well if they were to call a search off for my mother, either."