Chapter 9

"Great going, Adrien. You burnt the croissants!" I hollered when pulling a pan full of crispy croissants out of the oven.

Today was Adrien's first work day at the bakery, and let me just say that he is horrible at baking.

Being that I was the boss of Adrien today because my dad and mom were off Christmas shopping, I felt overpowered knowing that I was the one who was yelling.

On the plus side after I got done yelling I felt guilt overwhelm myself, meaning that my amazing power to be connected to Adrien is telling me he feels guilty for burning my perfect croissants. Well, maybe.

Actually it didn't seem like it...

In reality after I got done yelling, Adrien gave me a disgusted look, rolling his eyes as he marched over to the sink in the kitchen. I just stood there beside the oven, folding my hands together like a lunatic while I watched Adrien splash water onto his face.

There was absolutely no way Adrien was so stressed out that he had to wet his face. I guess you could say that his first day of work was quite disastrous but that still wasn't a reason for him to be stressed.

"You're going to permanently be a waiter, that is final." I said after he turned the faucet off.

Adrien groaned and leaned on the nearest counter. "I'm sorry, Marinette." He mumbled, ducking his head. "I guess I mixed up the... timers."

"It's okay." I said shrugging.

"It better be. It's not like i'm going to get arrested for burning croissants." He added harshly.

I just stared at him with a baffled look on my face after he said the words. Did he really have to mention being arrested?

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I jerked back into reality when Adrien snapped two fingers in front of my face, looking more annoyed than before.

"Sorry, sorry." I said quickly, ducking my head, wondering how he moved in front of me so quickly.

"You really are a ditz, aren't you, Marinette?" Adrien said, an obnoxious smirk twisting the corners of his mouth.

"Yeah, well, only when you're around, Agreste." It was literal miliseconds after those words were out of my mouth did I realize just how incredibly stupid what I just said was.

I quickly sped out of the door and into the dining area of the bakery and went about picking up the stray dishes left on the tables.
I began to speed up my process when seeing Adrien walk through the door while I worked furiously hard to keep myself short of hyperventilating.

"Do I make you nervous, Marinette?"

Absolutely.

"No." I replied stiffly.

"I think you're lying."

"Yeah, i'm lying." I snapped back in a sarcastic tone. Adrien made some sort of humming noise, fiddling with our cash register.

Great. He broke the cash register.

"Why do I make you nervous, Marinette?" I quickly dropped a dish into the bin I was holding to place the dishes in and turned to Adrien with a glare.

"Why does it matter to you, Agreste? And anyways, I never said that you made me nervous as it is."

"You just gave yourself away right there."

I rolled my eyes, forcing back a disgusted sigh as I steadied the bin on my waist and moved to another table.

It was barely six in the evening, but the Paris skyline outside was already covered in pitch blackness, and the streets were still covered in a light dusting of snow from this mornings unexpected fall.