Chapter 13

It probably wasn't such a great thing that I couldn't fall asleep until well after midnight, going over every small little detail that happened at Christmas dinner.

That, and I didn't get home until midnight, too.

I'd learned a few things that just might possibly help me out on my task of helping Adrien, saving Adrien. But I was beginning to think that maybe there was just more to this whole saving Adrien deal. It'd be pretty cruel of Colt to pile on more tasks than I already had, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Maybe I was actually supposed to be helping the entire Agreste family, as well as Adrien. Because the Lord only knows that family had more than enough to deal with. It wouldn't be easy, but I was positive that I'd be able to do it.

Apparently, the kiss that unexpectedly happened between Adrien and I in the kitchen was just the slightest bit of a confidence boost. Who would've thought that was even possible?
And it was safe to say that that kiss was one of the main reasons that I couldn't fall asleep for the past two nights. I was a little angry with myself that it hadn't been my first kiss, but it had more than made up for the awful one I'd gotten in freshman year when some twerp named Nathaniel had decided to kiss me for a dare. I'd never been able to live that one down, so it was nice to have another kiss to remember.

When I woke up at five Sunday morning, after a nice and calm family Christmas, I was probably over the moon and completely terrified at the same time. How on Earth was I going to face Adrien after that more than amazing kiss in the kitchen Friday night?

In all honesty, I was scared. But I had to reason with myself that I'd faced worse before and that this should be no problem at all.

I was lying, of course, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try and believe it anyway.

When I walked downstairs and into the bakery, the lights were on and blazing in the kitchen as I walked in. There could only be two people working, Dad or Adrien, and I was praying that just for a few minutes I'd be able to collect myself without Adrien around. I was just the slightest bit afraid I was going to have a panic attack.

With my luck, however, I should've known that it would be Adrien who was working, rummaging about in the fridge, as I hung my things up on the coatrack, grabbing an apron. He turned around as he swung the fridge door shut and gave me a rather cool, collected look.

"Uhm... good morning," I said awkwardly, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Morning," Adrien replied briskly before leaving the kitchen, holding what looked like a box of pastries.

That wasn't what I'd been expecting to happen. Things were bound to be awkward between us at first, but I hadn't expected him to just up and walk away. So far this wasn't turning out so well.

Before I could fabricate some ridiculous lie about how I suddenly couldn't work, I slouched my way over to the sink to wash my hands with soap and water. If things were going to be completely awkward with Adrien, then I might as well throw myself into work and try not to get burned by the coffee maker. Not exactly what I would call a very exciting start to the morning, but it was better than staying upstairs, curled up underneath the blankets on my bed and wallowing in self pity.

Sighing exasperatedly, I left the kitchen after fixing my work dress, scuffing my feet as I walked out to the front.

Adrien was bent over at the pastry case, carefully arranging macaroons, muffins, and any other delectable treat on trays for display. I leaned up against the front counter and crossed my arms over my chest, hoping he would be the one to break the silence first.