Chapter 18

Friday morning began with an early start. I woke up at five thirty for some reason, rolled over and tried to go back to sleep and realized a moment later that it was completely futile. So I dragged myself out of bed and padded to the shower.

When I was smelling like my favorite berry shampoo and just a little more awake, I yanked off the shower faucet and wrapped myself up in a towel. It took me about five minutes to get dressed, brush my hair and teeth and dust on my usual light layer of makeup. 

After that was finished, it was barely six. I needed to get out of the house. I slipped on my coat, tucked my cell phone into my pocket, grabbed my school bag, and left the apartment.

Mom and Dad were heavy sleepers so slipping outside unheard wasn't a problem. I probably should have left them a note telling them I left earlier, but I decided that I just didn't care at the moment. The streets outside weren't as busy as they normally were, so it took less time to get to the bus.

The bus ride seemed much shorter than it normally did, too. And it was when I was walking off the bus did I realize where I'd unconsciously decided to go. I'd unintentionally been heading to the park.

I'd made it to the middle of the park and was just deciding on turning back around to actually head for school when I caught sight of Adrien sitting on a nearby bench, what a coincidence. I couldn't see his face, but I knew it was him and I knew he must've had a lot of his mind. 

Before I could change my mind, I fast walked down the sidewalk toward the bench and dropped myself down beside Adrien. He looked up in surprise at me and raised an eyebrow, his lips pressed together in a tight line. 

"What're you doing in here?" He asked quietly, scuffing his shoe against the sidewalk.

"Couldn't sleep," I said with a shrug. "And I wanted some hot chocolate." 

Adrien gave a short laugh. "Very funny." 

"I try." 

I saw him fiddling with something in his hands out of the corner of my eye and turned to see that he was rolling a cigarette between his fingers.

Oh, please don't tell me he smokes.

There was a disconcerting look in his eyes as he twisted the cigarette between his fingers, like he was having a serious internal debate with himself. Maybe something happened when he got home last night that could be causing this debate? I didn't entertain the subject, not wanting to upset him so early in the morning.

"Need a light?" I asked, though I didn't have a lighter on me, frowning.

Adrien shook his head, the corners of his lips twisting in a grin. "I haven't smoked in awhile." 

Well, I certainly hadn't been expecting to hear that. I guess hearing that he did smoke was better than hearing that he does smoke.

"Why is that?" I demanded, trying to keep my voice down.

"These things kill you and some annoying girl made me see reason," Adrien said nonchalantly. "No big deal, really." 

Huh. Not a big deal? I happened to think it was a very big deal, but to each her own.  

"I bet that annoying girl is very proud of you for it," I said in what I hoped was a cheery voice. 

"Oh, I don't know," Adrien sighed. He bounced the cigarette in his palm for a second before he whipped back his arm and chucked it across the park. I lost sight of it a second later. "She probably is, but she's so confusing and I have no idea what she's thinking about all the time."