Chapter 16

Tuesday passed roughly in the same manner that Monday had. It was a little weird, sure, but overall, it wasn't so bad. I still got weird looks and people still whispered about me. Even a few people I'd go as far as to call aquatintces in chemistry abruptly stopped talking to me and refused to make eye contact. I wasn't too heartbroken about it. It was just the slightest bit unnerving, though.

The main thing that made Tuesday totally worth all of the awkward looks and rude whisperings was the fact that apparently Adrien didn't have a problem with kissing me in public. He was perfectly at ease with leaning over and pressing his lips against mine and then heading to fifth block after lunch. I'd been so surprised I barely had enough time to kiss him back before he was striding off with a rather satisfied smirk on his face. I wasn't so sure if I was supposed to count this as a good thing or not, but I definitely didn't have a problem with it.

Now it was Wednesday and I was no closer to figuring out what I was supposed to do to help Adrien than I had been before. Striding up to him and demanding to know everything that ever happened in his life seemed like a pretty stupid thing to do on my part.

Well, whatever I was supposed to do should do me a favor and make itself known in the next few days. I was praying that I was going to make headway someway, somehow tonight, since I was invited over to Linda's tonight, you could say Charlene and I were best friends. It was a bonus that I would get to see how Kai was doing, as well.

I dragged myself home off the bus after school and took a hot, pounding shower for as long as possible before I had to head for Linda's.

School always made me feel dirty and I had enough time to shower and make myself look presentable before leaving.

My thoughts kept drifting in and out of the most random things possible on the cab ride over to Linda's. This usually happened when I had too much free time on my hands and the Lord only knew I hadn't had enough of that lately.

When I finally got to the house, my teeth were chattering and it was a relief to finally step inside the warmth of the place place.

"Oh, hello, Marinette. Is it cold outside?" I looked toward the couch and saw Charlene,

"Just a little," I answered, forcing a smile.

"I probably should have called," Charlene said, wiping down the coffee table with a bit of force. "Adrien left with Félix last minute."

Well, that was surprising to hear, being that Adrien and Félix didn't get along too well.

"Oh... no, that's okay," I said slowly. "It's empty at my place. My parents are out getting more supplies for the bakery."

Charlene glanced over at me as I walked into the kitchen to drop my stuff off by the coat rack and glove tub.

"How often do your parents leave you home alone?" Charlene asked me as I returned.

I shrugged. "Just when they go shopping or on date nights. They know I don't like the whole three hour shopping thing so..." I didn't know why I was babbling like an idiot, telling Charlene something she probably didn't even need to know, but it sort of felt good getting that off my chest. Nobody really knew about my family life.

"I'm sorry I asked. I can tell I made you uncomfortable." Charlene said suddenly, catching me completely off guard.

"Oh, no, it's okay, really,"

Charlene held up a hand, cutting me off. "Don't lie to me. Next time tell me if you're uncomfortable with answering."

Okay, that was literally the last thing I was expecting her to say.