Chapter 8

I felt like a stalker, actually I was a stalker. I hadn't seen Adrien since our rather unpleasant encounter at lunch yesterday, and since it was the weekend right before Christmas break, I wouldn't see him until about two weeks from now. I couldn't exactly have him sneaking off to his father's house or getting arrested while I wasn't around, so I'd more or less had to get over my nerves and go look for him.

My first and only thought as to where he could be was at his grandmother's house since the woman from his car said that he was staying there this month and It was obvious that he didn't hang out with anyone outside of school, and he had little cousin's, right? Maybe he was babysitting them. It was as good a shot as any, really.

My jacket hood was pulled up high over my head as I trudged my way down the sidewalk towards the nearest bus stop. I had called beforehand and asked Charlene if it was okay if I were to come over, turns out she is a hairstylist, who would've thought?

When I knocked on the door Charlie opened it while talking on his cellphone, holding it with his shoulder. He gave me a welcoming smile and invited me in by pulling me inside, which I found a little unusual.

Charlie said his goodbyes over the cellphone and threw it onto the kitchen counter as he lead me toward their dining room.

"Come sit Marinette, I haven't seen you in a while! How are you?" He spoke quickly while taking a seat at the large table.

I did my best to smile as I tossed back my jacket hood. "I'm good. It's nice to see you again, Mr—" I broke off, unsure of what to call Adrien's uncle.

Charlie laughed, sliding out of his large jacket that looked like it belonged in a movie about a snowstorm. "Call me Charlie." He insisted.

I tried not to feel too awkward as I smiled back at him in return.

"So, what are you doing up here?" He asked conversationally. "You here for Adrien?"

I forced back a blush, dropping my gaze to my hands folded on top of the table. "Yeah, I am, actually..." I answered.

"Well, he and my mom went to get groceries," He sighed, drumming his fingers against the table. "He won't be back for a couple of hours."
I fought back the urge to burst into tears. Well, there went nothing. Literally. "Oh," I said in a flat voice. "Okay. Sorry for intruding, then."

I made to leave the house, but Charlie called me back with a bit of a frantic shout. "Wait, Marinette! Why don't you stay for a cup of hot chocolate? It's pretty cold outside. You can help decorate the tree we picked out last weekend."

Okay, so a cup of hot chocolate didn't sound so bad, neither did decorating a Christmas tree. It actually sounded pretty amazing. But hot chocolate with Adrien's uncle? Wouldn't that be a little awkward?

Well, you can always ask him a few questions. A tiny voice in my mind reasoned.

"Okay," I said slowly, turning back around. "That sounds lovely." Charlie smiled warmly, looking pleased.

"Great. This gives me a chance to get to know you and why you are the only girl my nephew tolerates." He joked, but I hadn't been expecting him to say that, it was a little nice to hear.

After a few minutes of listening to Charlie yell and talk to himself when burning his hands with boiling water, he walked out of the kitchen with two mugs of steaming, delicious smelling hot chocolate.

"There we are." He said happily as he placed one of the mugs down in front of me. I took the mug in my hands and breathed in the scent of chocolate and whipped cream.

I took a small sip, afraid of burning my mouth but immediately smiled when the warmth of the drink warmed my body. Also, it was delicious.

"So, do you have a crush on my nephew or something?" I spit out a mouthful of hot chocolate I just sipped and stared at Charlie like he'd just asked me if I'd willingly kill a puppy.