The Last Day

Deeks's POV

She laid there, cold, in my arms. Her head leaning against my smooth, tanned skin from the LA sun, my tears falling from my cheeks, only to land on hers.

"it's okay" i whispered, as i bowed my head, pressing a hopeless kiss against her face. "it's okay"

And that's when i realised i'd lost a part of me. I'd lost my hope, my dream, the mother to my children, my one and only. But I won't forgive myself. I never will. I didn't get to this hospital in time; i was too busy wrapping up a case at work, losing track of time. And within that time, i'd lost my best friend. Kensi was my everything.

I always knew that our jobs would end up stabbing us in the back one day, making us completely unaware of the risks we were taking. But i didn't think that day would come so soon. She was my partner in crime, we did everything together. I guess the only crime she'd ever committed was breaking my heart into pieces.

And as I laid down, her head on my chest, my arms around her waist, thinking about what I'd done wrong, i realised that Kensi is out there, living life with someone else. The life she promised me. I stared down at her pale face, as i pulled the hospital bed sheets over us, so i could hold her tight against me.

It was like a story; my chapter of her book was over, yet, little did she know that she was the title of mine. Our story was just beginning, but, the pages had been torn out. She'd realised that her chapter was too long, so she turned the page and i was no longer in her book.

Each chapter was a memory; the banter we had at work, the regular beers we shared, shooting bad guys to keep our country safe. Kensi came into my life when i needed her and kept me sane. She wrote my story.

Our story.

But she left when i was being torn apart.

I heard little steps running through the hallway, i opened my eyes to see my little girl and her brother standing at the end of the bedframe. They stared up at me, growing a frown.

"Dada? Is Mama okay?"

Athena's high pitched voice asked, shattering my heart into pieces- it's the only thing i had left of Kensi. And so was Zachary - he was only two, bless him. My chest was caving in, as i thought, 'I can't let my kids know the truth', but i knew that i didn't want to raise my children the way that i was raised by my own parents. I don't know how i'm going to stay fully operational raising a two year old and a five year old - yet, somehow, we need to stay strong. For Kensi.

"No, baby girl, Mama's not going to wake up"

I pulled Zachary up to the bed as Athena climbed up, where they lay, cuddling their mother tightly, crying loudly. I felt their pain. I didn't know just a young child could feel as much pain as the heartbreak I'd experienced, but it's because we loved her. Kensi mattered, she made us happy and changed our mood... and now she's gone.

I will forever continue to go back and read those chapters of our story from beginning to end, however the ending will remain unwritten. In the end... you never stayed... you promised you would, you had my heart, but all good things come to an end. As we part away, strangers will replace us... I will forever love you Kensi, even though your forever was shorter than mine.

Because there was two. Then there was one. Now there is none. If you'd gone, I was gone. I've always been a copy cat, what can I say. Now you're gone, i will question myself: Was i never enough? What did i do to hurt you? Now i'm just... Max. I will never have a Fern to my Max. Not anymore.

So therefore i shan't end this story with a periodt, but semicolon instead - hoping one day we will reunite and our adventures will start again... so that the sunshine to my gunpowder could ignite me, but i will leave blank pages too, because i believe that one day, we will all write the end of the story together;