Chapter Fifteen

Blake Goldstein looked across at the pair who were talking animatedly.

He had originally employed Noah Reynolds to head up the financial department because he was quick-witted, easily adaptable and highly intelligent. But who would have known that these were the perfect qualities for his girlfriend?

Amelia laughed, slapping Noah on the arm playfully.

Blake was seething.

How could he not have seen that he was her type? Dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, pink lips that looked as if they were painted that colour. He was perfect for her, not to mention he’d graduated university with an Economics degree like Amelia, only a year earlier than her.

When he whispered in her ear, that was it. Blake slammed down the papers in his hands and stormed out of the board room.

He marched to his private gym, stripping out of his suit, tie and trousers and into his gym wear: a black wife beater and black shorts.

He pounded relentlessly on the punch bag, imagining Noah’s face in front of front of him.

Smarmy, self-satisfied, arrogant, player pr*ck!

Amelia was mine! Amelia is mine!

He continued punching the bag mercilessly. He needed a release, he needed to take out his anger on something, someone. He wanted to hear the satisfying crack of Noah’s nose under his fist.

He thought that they were great. It had been a month since the anniversary of his mother’s death. He’d opened up, told her everything and their relationship had been better than ever. Or so he’d thought...

He’d been more romantic, showering her with gifts and flowers, taking her to dinner, operas, shopping, anything she wanted, she had. Hell, he’d practically moved half of his wardrobe into her closet.

“Blake?”       

He shut his eyes, clenching his jaw.

“Blake!” she pulled on his arm

His whole body tensed up, “What?” he snapped, instantly regretting it.

“What the hell is going on with you, huh?” she wiped the sweat from his brow.

“Nothing.” He lied

“The truth, if you please.” She raised an eyebrow

“Nothing.” He said, “Just a bruised ego.”

“What do you....” she paused, “Oh Blake, this is about Noah and I isn’t it? We’re just friends!”