Chapter Thirty

Blake rushed through the hospital doors and ran to the front reception desk, breathless.

“Amelia… I’m looking for Amelia Crawford…” he panted, “Admitted around an hour ago.”

The receptionist looked up at him lazily.

“Please!” he screamed frantically, “I need to find my girlfriend! Her name is Amelia Crawford! I need to see her, please, please, find where she is.”

The receptionist tapped on the computer, chewing her gum noisily.

“Top floor. Oak Suite.”

Blake didn’t bother to say thank you, skidding down the corridor towards the lift. He prodded at the ‘UP’ button but nothing happened. Rushing to the stairs, he climbed, ran and sprinted the fourteen floors until he reached the top.

He was completely hysterical when he reached the receptionist.

“Please, I’m looking for Amelia Crawford, admitted around an hour ago. Can you please tell me what room she’s in?”

“Sure,” the receptionist tapped on the computer, “Crawford you say?”

Blake nodded, “Yes, which room?”

The receptionist frowned, “Oh no sweetie, she’s not here anymore, Amelia Crawford was transferred to ICU around 20 minutes ago.”

“ICU?” Blake exploded, “Oh god…”

“Just along the corridor sweetie. Labelled Beech Suite,” the receptionist smiled sympathetically, “Through the double doors. Good luck.”

Blake ran off, “Thank you!” he called back, running through the double doors.

He ran and ran for what seemed forever, looking in each room for the love of his life.

Mia. Mia. Mia. Mia.

“BLAKE!”

He span around in relief, “Oh Kait!”

Kaitlin had a pale, tear-stained face and her brows were knitted together in concern.

“Where is she?! Where’s Mia?!”

Kaitlin swallowed, “There…” she pointed

Blake looked through the glass and gasped, his eyes zeroing in on Amelia. A deathly white Mia laid on a gigantic hospital bed that dwarfed her, her hair spread about the pillow. She was hooked up to so many different machines, a heart monitor, a drip, a blood bag, everything; she was covered in wires. She looked serene, like she was sleeping, but her face and arms were covered in dark marks, her lips were blue.

“Oh God…”

Blake made to move through the doors, but Kaitlin held him back.

“Not yet. A few minutes to get her settled in.”

“When can I see her? I want to see her! Please, Kaitlin!”

“I know Blake, just a few more minutes,” Kaitlin pleaded, “Look James is here.”

James strode out of the private hospital room, his face set in a frown.

“Blake.” They briefly shook hands

“What happened? Is she okay? What’s going on?” Blake fired questions at James

“That prick Bradshaw is what happened.” James growled

“Can I?” Blake gestured to the door. James nodded.

Blake rushed through the door and collapsed next to the bed.