Chapter Twenty-Two

Alcohol was the only way. It numbed the senses, you didn’t have to think about anything anymore.

Funny how she wanted to think.

Amelia sat at the bar, her glass by her side. She’d suddenly developed a taste for vanilla rum. 7 shot glasses. Or was it 8? She’d lost count.

“He said he still wants me...it was always me...said he loves me.”

“Hey, what’s happening pretty lady?”

Amelia looked up from her tired looking reflection in the whiskey glass.

“Hey Caleb, you okay?” Amelia smiled weakly.

“I’m good thanks, babe, I hope you don’t mind me saying but you don’t look so good.”

She laughed, “I don’t feel so good Caleb.”

He sat down on the stool next to her, waving his hand in the air. The bartender appeared from the other end of the bar, “Hey, what can I get ‘ya?”

“Large vodka tonic and whatever the lady is having.”

The bartender nodded, sliding the two glasses across the bar. Amelia grabbed her glass, downing it in one.

Caleb’s eyes widened.

“Whoa! Baby girl! Take it easy there!”

She shrugged, “I can handle it Caleb.”

“How about something else, huh? Join me in a brandy?” he asked

“Brandy?” she choked

He smiled, “It’s a Goldstein thing.”

“So I’ve gathered,” her smile did not reach her eyes, “Never really cared for brandy much. Too strong.”

“I knew it’d be too strong for you. Sleep it off Blondie.”

Blake’s emerald eyes teased her.

“Anything else I can get you?”

“No thanks Cai.”

He shook his head, “You know what I mean Mia. What the hell is up with you?”

She sighed, “Alexis Greene is what’s up with me.”

His eyes lit up, “She’s what’s up with me too.”

Amelia rolled her eyes, smacking him in the arm, “You would say that. You’re Caleb Goldstein.”