day 3: lazy day

DAY THREE YEEHA HERE WE GO. i can already tell i'm gonna run out of intros real quick.

the twins are 2 years old here!
tw for:
discussion of pregnancy complications
mentioned previous self harm

enjoy!

—————

Janis wakes up to a weight over her hips and a tiny finger prodding at her face. "Mommy? Sleepin'?"

Janis yawns and opens her eyes, yelping quietly when she sees Layla's face about an inch from her nose. She turns to the side and sees Cady still sound asleep next to her.

"Lala, who let you out of your crib?"

"I let me out," Layla explains, pointing to herself. Janis' eyes go wide and she sits upright.

"You got out all by yourself?"

"Uhm... yeah."

"Uh oh," Janis hums to herself.

"Time fow pweschool, Mommy," Layla says. "Hafta get dwessed."

"You don't have preschool today, baby," Janis says, kissing Layla's forehead. "It's a snow day."

"A snow day?"

"Yeah. Come here," Janis says, carrying Layla to the window. "It snowed a lot last night, it's not safe to drive in. If nobody can drive to school then they can't have school, so they cancel it for the day until the roads get cleaned."

"Oh," Layla says sadly. "But I want pweschool."

"I know, Ladybug. We'll still have a fun day here with sissy and Mama, though. And hopefully you'll get to go back on Thursday," Janis says. "Should we wake Mama up and cuddle until sissy wakes up?"

"Yeah," Layla nods. Janis kisses her cheek and gently plops her on top of Cady.

"Janis." Cady groans quietly. Layla cuddles into her neck regardless. "Good morning, Lolo."

Layla shakes her head. "Mama, Lala."

"What?" Cady asks, rolling over and finally opening her eyes. Layla pats herself with her little hand.

"I Lala."

"You are Lala," Cady chuckles. "I'm sorry, baby. Good morning."

"Good mo'nin'!" Layla chirps happily.

"Where's sissy?"

"Sissy is still in bed," Janis says. "Because this little monkey escaped all by herself and woke me up."

"Uh oh," Cady says. "You climbed out of your crib? How did you do that?"

"Wif my feets," Layla explains, grabbing her toes. She loses her balance and tips sideways onto the bed.

"With your feet? I guess that makes sense," Janis chuckles. "Might be time to get you into a big girl bed. Or we could just put a net on your crib."

"Big girl bed?" Layla asks excitedly. Cady grabs her back and squishes her close.

"I'm not ready. You need to stay my little babies forever," she says sadly. "You're growing so much."

"I two years old," Layla says, holding up two little fingers. Cady smiles and nods.

"You are, you're right. You're very grown up," she hums. "We'll see about your big girl bed."

"Mama sad?" Layla asks in concern.

"Just a little," Cady says. "I miss when you were a little baby. But I love you getting big and learning how to do new things, and getting all your new big girl stuff. So that makes me happy, too."