day 11: getting the christmas tree

day 11!! woo sorry for the late post but i was busy BEING a christmas tree myself. anyway.

the twins are three years old here!

please enjoy!

—————-

"Are you excited, love bugs?" Cady asks, turning around in her seat for a second to look at her daughters. They both perk up a bit and look back at her with eager nods.

"Yeah," Layla says happily, kicking her little legs back and forth. Leo just nods again.

"Good. We're gonna pick a perfect tree, huh?" Cady replies. They both nod again.

"And fairies!" Leo says, holding up her wand. "We hafta hunt for fairies."

"Oh, yeah, can't forget the fairies," Cady chuckles. "We're almost there."

They have an artificial Christmas tree that they had bought the year before the twins were born, after they had moved into their house instead of the tiny apartment they had been in previously. That tree is now getting rather cramped, full of family ornaments and decorative ornaments. So, this year, they've decided to do both an artificial and a real tree. The real one for the family ornaments, and the artificial one for the 'pretty' ornaments.

"We here!" Layla cheers happily when she feels the car stop moving, looking eagerly out the window at all the trees around.

"We're here!" Janis replies, undoing her own seatbelt and going to free Layla. Cady gets Leo on the other side. "You got your fairy wand?" Layla nods and brandishes it. It's actually just a chopstick with some ribbons stapled to the end, but neither of the twins have let go of their 'wands' for a solid four days. "Good. Let's go!"

-

"Well, hello there," a kindly older gentleman greets as they make it to the main area. "Welcome, welcome."

"Hi," Cady greets politely, adjusting her grip on Leo as she turns away from the stranger. Leo has always been the shy one, and recently adopted the strategy of, 'If I don't look, maybe they won't talk to me.' It does seem to work pretty well.

"My name is Lewis, pleased to meet you. I take it you're here for a tree," the man says, adjusting the straps on his worn overalls.

"Yeah," Janis confirms.

Layla pipes up, "And-and...um...fairies."

"Fairies?" Lewis says. Layla nods and holds up her wand. "Well, I'll let you in on a little secret. We have lots of fairies in our trees, but they hide pretty well. You'll have to pick a real nice tree for them. But I bet two little fairy finders like you will have no trouble."

Layla looks at him with wide eyes and nods very seriously. Janis chuckles and kisses her temple as Lewis directs them over to the hot chocolate and cider being served by a woman, presumably his wife, and then shows them where to go once they're ready to go find a tree.

"Thank you," Cady says.

"T'ank you!" Layla copies, waving at him over Janis' shoulder.

Lewis waves back and calls, "You're welcome! Let me know how many fairies you find!"

"He look like Santa," Leo pipes up quietly, the first thing she's said since they arrived. Cady nods and laughs.

"He does a little bit, you're right. Maybe they're friends," she says. Leo looks at her in awe. She hadn't considered that possibility. "Let's get something to eat and then we'll go find our tree."

"And-"

"And fairies, of course," Cady finishes. "Ooh, they have lots of yummy things, what should we get?"