day 23: mistletoe/kissing

day 23!!! oooh ahhhh getting clooooser

the twins are two here :)

enjoy!!

—————-

Cady yelps in fright when she hears a squeaky, "Mama?"

She looks down to find her two-year-old twins staring at her and her wife. "Yes, munchkins?"

"Why you kissin'?" Layla asks.

"Because I love Mommy," Cady replies.

"But why you kissin' here?" Leo asks.

Cady looks around a bit more and remembers that they are practically in the middle of the hallway. "We're under the mistletoe."

"Missa-what?"

"Mistletoe," Janis chuckles. She reaches up and pulls it down from the lamp they hung it from. "This little plant."

"It makes you kissin'?"

"No, we chose to," Janis explains with a laugh. "But it's tradition to kiss someone under the mistletoe. Like this. Lala, can I kiss you?" Layla nods as Janis dangles the mistletoe over her head, so Janis leans in and pecks her cheek.

"Me too?" Leo pouts. Janis holds the plant over her and kisses her cheek too. Leo giggles happily.

"Mommy?"

"Yeah?"

"Wha's a t'adition?"

Janis hangs her head and sighs.

————-

The twins are delighted by their new tradition and spend a majority of the day under the mistletoe. Layla does some coloring there, and Leo goes so far as to eat her dinner underneath it. Daffodil happily gives her some kisses, but seems more interested in her chicken nuggets than anything.

They're even more excited when their aunties and uncles come over the next day. They get to introduce everyone to their favorite new Christmas thing.

"You hafta kiss!" Layla demands. Her aunt Reggie and Aunt GG are under the mistletoe together. "But you hafta ask first."

Regina shrugs and turns to her partner. "Gretch, can I kiss you?"

"Of course," Gretchen chuckles. They both lean in for a sweet kiss, but keep it chaste in front of the little one. They break apart after a few seconds and turn to Layla. "Satisfied?"

Layla nods. "Good. It's the... uh... missatoast."

"Missile toast?" Regina asks in shock. Layla nods again and points above them. "Oh. Mistletoe."

Layla nods once more. "Missatoast."

"Whatever you say, munchkin."

————-

The mistletoe situation quickly becomes awkward. Layla and Leo are acting as the mistletoe police and insisting that everyone kiss under it, regardless of if they're together or not. Damian kisses Janis on the cheek, Karen kisses Damian's forehead, Aaron very awkwardly kisses Cady's hand.

"Girls, people don't have to kiss under the mistletoe if they don't want to," Cady says exhaustedly after several hours of shenanigans. "Everybody's kissed everybody, we're done now."

Janis takes it down again to put a concrete end to the situation. Maybe they'll try mistletoe again in a few years.

—-

"Cheese and crackers!" Damian yelps as a toddler suddenly leaps on him from above. "Hi Layla."

"Hi!" Layla chirps. She crawls higher up on his chest until they're practically nose to nose. It's at this point that Damian spies the green plant in her hand. "I p'ease hab a kiss?"

"Okay," Damian chuckles. He kisses her chubby cheek a few times. "There."

"T'ank you," Layla says, sliding down off his lap and moving on to her next target. "Mama!"

"Hi, Ladybug!" Cady says happily. Layla's not usually huge on cuddles, so she takes advantage of any occasion she gets to snuggle her. "Whatcha doing?"

Layla leans in and presses her nose against Cady's. She says ominously, "I finded the missatoast."

"Uh oh," Cady hums.

"I hab kisses p'ease?"

"Sure," Cady chuckles. She holds Layla by the shoulders and kisses all over her little face. "That should hold you over for a while."

Layla nods and cuddles in for a little bit, electing to stay and watch the movie with her mama. Leo comes toddling up and takes the plant.

No one is safe.

-

Leo makes her rounds, getting kisses from her mama, then her aunt Karen, then Aunt Reggie, then Aunt Karen again, then Aunt GG, then Uncle Damian, then her mommy, then her Uncle Aaron, then her mommy again. The family dog and cat, Daffodil and Elvira respectively, even get a few rounds of kisses.

"Leo, baby, take a break from the kisses now," Janis says when Leo comes to her for a third time. "Mwah. All done for a while."

Leo pouts pleadingly. "But I hab the missatoast."

"I see you have the mistletoe, but people need a break from the kisses," Janis explains. Damian snorts next to her.

"Look who's talking."

"Shush," Janis huffs, whacking him gently. Leo giggles at their antics. "You can play mistletoe again in a while, take a break for now."

"My turn," Layla says, crawling down from Cady's lap and heading for the plant. Leo whines and holds it away from her.

"Girls, share," Cady says warningly. Leo pouts again and hands it over. "Lala, you need to have a break from the mistletoe too. You can kiss Daffy and Ellie, and me and Mommy if you want. But nobody else for a while."

"Wha'bout Lolo?"

"If Lolo wants kisses you can kiss her," Cady agrees.

"Lolo, I hab kisses?"

"No!" Leo huffs, crossing her arms and turning away.

Layla pouts. "Okay. Daffy!"

Leo looks on with a pout as Layla gets many doggy kisses from their puppy and gives her some in return. "Lala!"

"What?"

"I hab kisses now."

Layla eagerly runs over and practically smacks her sister across the face with the plant. Leo bends down from Janis' lap and carefully kisses her twin's cheek. "Mmmmm'ah!"

Layla giggles and kisses Leo's cheek in return. Leo climbs down and runs away, her laughter encouraging Layla to chase her.

"You guys certainly have your hands full," Regina chuckles as the twins run all over the house, chasing each other with the mistletoe and giving kisses before running off again.

"That we do," Cady agrees.

But our hearts are even fuller.

—————-

thanks for reading! see you tomorrow!