day 5: sick day

day five woooooo!!!

the twins are six here!! i think this is the oldest they'll be in this book so enjoy it while it lasts :)

enjoy!!

—————

"Good morning, my little elves!" Janis greets as she goes to wake the twins up for the morning. "Time for breakfast!"

Both girls groan sleepily and roll away from the light. Leo grumbles, "Five more minutes." into her pillow.

"No way, come on," Janis chuckles. "What's up?" It's unusual for the twins to be so lethargic, especially Layla. She's usually full of energy in the morning.

"Tired," Layla grumbles. Janis pouts and goes to sit next to her on the bottom bunk.

"You guys went to bed on time," she hums thoughtfully. "Why are you so sleepy?"

"Didn't sleep," Leo grunts.

"Me either."

"Neither of you slept? The whole night?" Janis asks in shock. Both her daughters shake their heads. "Why not?"

"I'm so itchy," Layla complains, scratching her arm for emphasis. Leo nods in agreement.

"Uh oh," Janis murmurs to herself. "Lemme see your arm, Ladybug."

Layla blearily stretches her arm out. Janis rolls up the sleeve of the too-small Christmas jammies from last year to assess the situation. It's just as she suspected.

"Leo, stop scratching and let me see yours," Janis says to confirm she has the same thing. Leo lets her look at her own arm as well. "Yep. You guys have the chicken pox!"

"The what?"

"Chicken pox. Those little bumps," Janis explains. "It's why you're so itchy. You were supposed to get a shot for it at the doctor next time, I guess school beat us to it."

"I don't feel good," Layla whines. Janis frowns and kisses her forehead. She does have a low fever.

"That's part of it too. You guys get to stay home for a few days," Janis says. "So you don't give them to anyone else."

"Will we get you and Mama sick?" Leo asks in concern. She coughs a few times and winces at the scratching in her throat.

"No, Bee, it's okay. Once you've had the chicken pox or the shot for it you can't get it again. I had them when I was your age, and your mama got the shot when she was little." Janis comforts.

Cady comes in then, to see why they haven't come down to breakfast yet. "Jayjay, what's going on? They're gonna miss the bus at this rate."

"We gots the chicken pops!" Layla cheers almost happily. Cady laughs at that.

"Pox, darling," she corrects gently. "Both of you?" Her twins nod. "Huh. You poor things, let me see." She frowns when she sees the little red marks peppering her daughters' skin. "My poor little cubs. Let's go get some food in these tummies and then we'll see what we can do to get the itch to go away."

—-

Her twins absentmindedly scratch through their whole breakfast of eggs and bacon, until Janis and Cady notice and stop them. Cady gathers their plates to do the dishes. "Jay, can you go get some stuff we'll need?"

"Yep," Janis agrees around her last mouthful, gently batting Layla's hands away from her itchy leg. "What do you need?"

"Oatmeal, pantyhose, some sort of anti-itch lotion or cream, and some cookie dough."