day 13: adopting a pet

give it up for day 13!! yaaay!

the twins are six in this one!

enjoy :)

—————

"What should we get the girls this year?" Janis asks her wife in bed one night. "As their big thing."

"They've been begging for a pet," Cady murmurs back. "Of their own. I was thinking we could get them some cool fish or something. Something easy to take care of, they're only six."

"I think they'd like that," Janis agrees. "Their room has space for a good size tank."

"Yeah. Maybe one fish each, that way they won't fight over a name," Cady says. Janis nods. "Can I trust you to pick some for them?"

"Yes," Janis groans. "I'm responsible enough to pick some fish for our kids, you can trust me."

"Okay," Cady chuckles into Janis' hair. "Goodnight, my love."

"Goodnight, baby."

————-

Janis goes out the next day to buy the fish. They want to have enough time for the fish to get acclimated to the tank before they give them to their daughters, so the fish would be temporarily living in a sneaky hiding spot in their closet until Christmas.

Cady gets a few other little things wrapped while she's gone, until she hears Janis come home. Janis enters the room sheepishly with something behind her back. "Caddy... Baby... Angel... Butterfly... Light of my life..."

"What have you done?" Cady asks in worry, scrambling up and running over to her.

"Nothing," Janis says, in a tone that says she's damn well done something.

"Janis Sarkisian-Heron," Cady says, crossing her arms over her chest. "I sent you to get fish. What did you do?"

"Right, about that," Janis says, refusing to look at her wife. "I meant to get fish, honest, but I was... wandering around the pet store, and... uh... meet Fish."

She pulls the object from behind her back, revealing a little felt pouch. Cady peeks inside and sees... a baby hedgehog.

"You bought a hedgehog?!" Cady demands. "That's... that's the farthest thing from a fish! Where is it gonna live?"

"I bought her a little habitat too," Janis mumbles sheepishly. "She has everything she needs in the car. Just look at her, I couldn't resist! She smiles!"

"Goodness gracious," Cady says quietly, massaging the bridge of her nose. "Listen to me. I am having no part in the care of this... Fish. You are the one who will teach the twins how to take care of her. And we are not getting any other pets for a long time. Capiche?"

"Mmhmm," Janis nods frantically. "Uh... can you hold her while I carry her stuff in?"

Cady nods and holds out her hands, and Janis carefully hands over the little pouch. Cady sits on the bed and looks at the little creature.

Fish suddenly crawls out of the bag, sniffing around at Cady's hands. Cady gently flips her over and scratches her belly with an index finger. "What am I gonna do with her? And you? I guess you are pretty cute. You're gonna get a lot of loving from those three."

Janis comes crashing back into the room then, carrying a little cage, a bag of bedding, and some hedgehog food. Fish startles and curls herself into a little spiky ball.

"Don't, you're scaring her," Cady hushes, bringing the little hedgehog sphere up close to her and carefully massaging a pokey head.

"I see you two have bonded," Janis pants.