4. Future Dreams

-Nic-

-Nic-

This time, I was ready.

Everybody in my class stared at me in curiosity when I sat down in Jax's usual seat at the back of the classroom. I tried to ignore their raised eyebrows the best I could, but I knew they all thought I was suicidal. Maybe I was, but this time, I was ready to confront Jax.

When Jax finally stepped into the room, his eyes immediately met mine as he came to a halt at the door. The look on his face was deadly. The rest of the students fell silent, and they watched without blinking when Jax walked slowly to me. It was clear he was trying his hardest to control himself in front of the teacher.

"Nicholas Gabriel." His voice sounded like he was Death himself.

"Chase Jackson," I replied, knowing awfully well I was going to regret pissing him off.

"You are seriously fucked up in the head," he spoke, staring at me like a snake stared at his target.

"Maybe," I said, before our teacher asked us to quiet down.

I turned to look at the front of the classroom, hoping to seem like I was completely ignoring Jax. I was ready to dodge or defend myself if he made any sudden movements. I was sure he would attack me again, but to my surprise, he sat down next to me when our teacher told him to.

As the class started, I saw Jax staring at me from the corner of my eye, but when I turned to look at him, he had already turned his attention to whatever our teacher was writing on the board. I sighed silently and relaxed a little. Jax didn't seem to be in the mood to kick my ass. I tried to concentrate on the class, but it was difficult when everyone else in the room kept peeking in our direction. I could tell Jax was getting annoyed too.

"What the hell are you staring at?!"

If someone thought it was Jax yelling at them, they were utterly wrong. Everyone stared at me for a short moment, including Jax. They all looked surprised since I had never lost my cool like that before.

"Mr. Gabriel, keep your voice down," our teacher scolded me once he had recovered from the shock that, for the first time, it wasn't Jax who had caused a disturbance.

It was the third day of the challenge, and I was already losing my mind. I knew the students would start spreading rumors, and sooner or later, they'd start asking questions. I would never even consider being friends with someone like Jax, and they all knew it. I had no idea what to tell them if and when they started asking questions.

At least they stopped staring...

Everyone else except Jax had turned to look at the board. Jax, on the other hand, was looking at me like he had never seen me before. I could tell he was getting intrigued by me. It felt like I had reached the first milestone.