17. The Signs

-Nic-

-Nic-

I leaned against the wall, watching over the schoolyard and the city. The rooftop was empty and silent, just like I wanted. I came there to escape from the crowded, noisy hallways and to hide from everything and everyone so I could... Could what?

Think?

I leaned my head back against the wall and closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath. The anxiety was getting worse with each passing day. There were moments I felt like I couldn't breathe. There were moments I could only sit still, feeling paralyzed.

Why did I feel like I was losing control? Why did I feel like everything was falling apart around me? Like everything was slipping past my fingers, no matter how hard I tried to hold on to it all. I didn't know what to do. About anything. I couldn't even name the things I needed to do something about. Every time I tried, I felt something big and bad grasping at my throat.

I couldn't stand still any longer. I walked to the railings, taking a tight hold on them before leaning hard against them, letting my head drop between my arms. I tried to breathe, but the anxiety was returning with force.

What was wrong with me?

The door opened behind me, so I quickly straightened my posture and turned around to see who it was. Of course it was Jax. No one else came up here.

I tried to smile at him and get a grip at the same time.

"I was wondering why I didn't see you in the lunch hall," he said, slowly making his way to me, lighting a cigarette. "Not hungry?"

I shook my head, stepping closer to him. "I had a big breakfast."

That was a lie, but there was no way I could eat at that moment.

I grabbed him by his waist and pulled him closer. He looked at me, his right hand tugged under his left arm, and the left hand holding the cigarette, pointing it at me like he was telling me I'd get burned if I did something stupid. But at the same time, his taunting eyes were challenging me to do something stupid. When I leaned in to kiss him, there was only one thing on my mind.

I wanted to get burned.

He didn't burn me. We were past that phase now, or at least I assumed so. His walls had grown thin and small after he showed me his scars earlier this week. He was finally warming up to me. He was actually warming up to me, not just throwing small bones at me here and there.

He gave me actual answers if I asked something. His tone was never hostile when he spoke to me. He didn't roll his eyes when I tried to hold him. He didn't burn me when I kissed him.

"Ah!"

He did like to bite me, though. His eyes were smiling at me while he kept my lower lip tightly pinned between his teeth. Ah, fuck, it hurt. I held him tighter by his hips, the familiar heat rising inside me. I wanted to bite him back.