5. Past Nightmares

-Nic-

-Nic-

On Thursday morning, I was determined to get Jax to talk with me, but I soon realized I didn't have any classes with him that day. And he was just as slippery as a snake as well. I spotted him only twice in the hallways – his flaming red hair was easy to notice – but on both times he managed to vanish when I tried to follow him.

I was not giving up, but I had the feeling this day would be a complete bust.

"Mom is going to kill me..."

I turned to look at the guy sitting next to me in chemistry. Benjamin. Didn't really enjoy his presence, but our teacher had decided the seating order for us, so I was stuck with him.

"Why?" I asked to humor him.

"I got an F from the test. It must be easy for you," he continued.

Here we go again...

"Chemistry is all right. You just have to put effort into it," I said, turning to look at the board in front.

"Yeah," he chuckled, nudging me with his elbow. "Or Dad's money like in your case."

I sighed quietly. "He's not paying my teachers to give me A's, you know. I work hard for my grades."

"Sure you do," he said, and when I glanced at him, I saw the familiar hint of jealousy in his eyes. "I'm just kidding. I know you... work. Or something. But hey! You don't even have to worry over grades because your dad just pays for you to get into the best colleges in the world."

A few guys behind us chuckled at his words.

"I'm just kidding, of course," Benjamin added.

He was not. He just wanted to say what he really wanted, but without ruining his "friendship" with me. Everyone wanted to be friends with me in case they could somehow take advantage of it.

"Funny," I said in a monotone voice and focused on my book.

The actually funny thing was that I appreciated Jax and his wish to break my skull much more than these so-called friends of mine. At least he was being genuine. These guys hated my guts probably more than Jax did, after all, but he had no trouble being open about it.

I really liked that.

Lunch break rolled around, and I absentmindedly followed Jessica through the hallways, keeping a close eye on my surroundings in hopes of seeing even a glimpse of a red strand of hair somewhere. But no. Nothing.

Where on earth was Jax hiding?

"Nic? Hello? Nic?" Alan waved his hand in front of my eyes.

I turned to look at him. For a brief second, I was confused to see him sitting next to me. I got even more confused when I saw a plate full of food in front of me. When did I get that?