11. Torturous Date

-Jax-

-Jax-

I thought Nic would now leave me alone. He had a big, nasty burn mark on his neck, after all. I saw a glimpse of him when school ended on Friday, and his skin around my little hickey of death was screaming red. But he still waved at me when he spotted me. I ignored him, turned around, and walked in the opposite direction.

If only I could simply just ignore him. He had permanently occupied my mind by now. The entire weekend was just Nic this, Nic that, and I was slowly losing my mind trying to understand what was going on. I tried to keep myself occupied by trying new hairstyles and makeups, but that always ended up with me planning how to change myself so completely that Nic wouldn't recognize me ever again.

I'd done it once. I could do it again. And again because of a fucking Gabriel.

After the annoying weekend, the even more annoying Monday arrived. My need to skip school had never been so intense, but at the same time, I wanted to see if he was now done harassing me. So, I did my hair and face, chose a very nice outfit with lots of big spikes on the shoulders of my vest, belt and gloves, grabbed my bag and headed to school.

I stayed mostly on my own, hiding behind the building until it was time for our joined class. I waited until the very last minute before making my way to the classroom, and by the time I arrived, everyone else was already inside. I honestly didn't expect to see Nic in my usual seat.

But there he was, his eyes immediately landing on me as I stepped in. And he smiled. He smiled like he'd won a round I wasn't even aware of.

And for some reason, I relaxed a little. I burned his neck, and he was still there. I immediately got mad at myself and refused to have the thoughts seeing Nic was trying to cause, and stomped my way to the seat next to him.

"You look good today," he said as his first words.

"You can fuck off," I told him in a mutter as I sat down.

I could feel his eyes on me. I was ready to tell him to fuck off again, but he ended up not saying a word, and turned to look away. I stole a short glimpse of him. His smile was gone...

Oh no fucking way...

Now I felt bad for what I said. That fucking Gabriel made me feel bad! What the fuck was going on?!

I couldn't focus on the class. Nic didn't say a word to me. He didn't even look at me. And for some goddamn reason, it was making me feel uncomfortably bad about myself. He was just trying to... I don't know what, but he was trying. The burn mark on his neck seemed infected, too. It looked really painful.

And he still was being nice.

The class ended, and we both went our separate ways. He didn't give me a single look. I was sure he was now completely done with me.