35. All Over

-Nic-

-Nic-

"Jax!!"

I could feel his cold skin brushing against my fingertips as I tried to reach for him, but I failed to catch him. He fell backwards, tripping on the banister, and vanished.

"JAX!"

I hurried to the banister, hoping to see him holding on to it so I could pull him back to safety, but when I looked down, he wasn't there. I could only see the angry river, ten times its normal size, and moving so fast...

My first instinct was to jump after him, but my brain stopped me and urged me to drive after him instead. There was a street right next to it.

I rushed back in my car. Seconds later, I was back on the street, driving so fast I could barely control the strong car. I couldn't see anything behind the rain, but I sped down the street until I reached a calm pond the river ran through. Jax had to be there if he hadn't managed to get out of the stream before the small waterfall. With no time to lose, I drove the car right into the pond, probably killing it for good, then rushed out to go search for Jax.

My Jax...

This was my fault...

"Jax!!"

I saw him! I saw him breaching the surface close by, and he was moving. Thank fucking god, he was moving...

"Jax! Jax!"

I reached him, and tried to grab him, but he gasped in pain. I stopped trying to move him.

"Jax? Where does it hurt?" I asked, but his eyes were closed, and he'd fallen immobile. "Jax!"

I needed to get him to a hospital. I couldn't see any injuries, but that didn't mean there weren't any. I didn't know if I should move him, but he'd held his head up so maybe it was all right if I carried him to safety? I couldn't leave him here. The moving water would drag him away if I did.

Being as careful as I could, I carefully picked him up and carried him to my car. His dress was heavy, but I had enough adrenaline – and fear – to ignore that. My body couldn't feel exhaustion at that moment.

I just needed to get Jax to safety.

Once I had solid ground under my feet, I gently laid Jax down under a tree, then hurried to my car to find my phone and my jacket. While I called for an ambulance, I put the jacket around Jax in hopes of keeping him warm, but the heavy rain got it soaked in seconds. Jax still wasn't coming to... Fear was strangling in my throat as I followed the instructions I was receiving, trying to find his injuries. The minutes felt like eternity, but finally, the ambulance arrived, and they took over.

"Sir? What happened?"

I couldn't take my eyes off Jax. He was so pale... He looked so lifeless... His lips blue...