24. Priorities

-Nic-

-Nic-

After Mom and I left the restaurant, and I told her goodbye, I watched her drive away before I went to get my own car. As I walked, I felt like... like I was alive again. I could breathe. I could think.

The check she gave me was burning in my pocket. Once I was sitting behind the wheel, I took it and stopped to stare at it. Seeing Mom's signature filled me with shame, but at the same time, it was my ticket to salvation. Cheesy, yes, but accurate. I let out the deepest sigh, feeling like a massive weight was lifted off my shoulders.

I never should've accepted the bet...

But if I hadn't accepted it... Jax wouldn't be in my life if it wasn't for that bet. I never would've even considered him, right? If I had, I would've given up very fast. I would've chosen someone easier, and I hated that thought. I absolutely loathed that thought. I would've missed out on something real and genuine and hot...

I put the check safely in my wallet and turned on the engine.

At least I'd done a little bit of growing in the past few weeks. I wasn't entirely the same person anymore, and I just had to live with the fact that in order for me to grow, I'd had to do something very, very stupid. Learning from this mistake may have cost me a lot, but it wasn't a heavy price to pay. Considering my other options.

I drove to Jax's, and while I was parking my car next to Pop Jackson's, the front door opened. I smiled when I saw Jax leaning against the doorway. He was hot in his black jeans and a white shirt, and his hair in a messy ponytail.

"How did it go?" he asked after I got out of the car.

"I feel..." I muttered as I approached him. "Lighter."

"Good," he said, flashing a smile at me. "Did you talk about school?"

"Yeah. She said she'll support me if I want to take a break after high school," I told him, and hugged him. "But I don't want to think about that right now."

"Fair," he said, hugging me back.

I stopped to stare at him. He looked so good... I couldn't see myself not getting interested in him even if I had never accepted the bet.

I let go of him just to place my hands on his cheeks, and then kissed him slowly. When I pulled back, he raised his eyebrows at me in amusement.

"What was that for?"

"For a lot of things," I said quietly. "And especially for keeping me sane."

"It's whatever," he muttered.

"Not to me," I said with a smile.

He rolled his eyes at me, but he was smiling, too. "Get your ass inside."

I laughed lightly, pecked his forehead, and did as I was told. I kept my eyes on him as I stepped inside, and I couldn't stop smiling. And I guess it was then that it hit me... We were actually dating. This thing between us was real.